rear brake caliper piston

Pat Swiger

Does anyone know how to back the piston off on my rear brake calipers so that I can replace my worn brake pads with new brake pads?

Backing off rear calipers

The guy who did mine rotated the piston. I think that is why it has the two indentations (so it can be grabbed)

(I used a C-Clamp to push them in on my front brakes)

-Andrew

Get on of those square brake tools with the pegs on it and a c-clamp. clamp the tool onto the brake piston allowing it to push in. tighten the c-clamp as you turn the piston clockwise with the brake tool. its a bitch but thats the way I do it.

Pat - there is a specific tool for the ford pistons, but I don't recall the make. I've used the square multi tool myself with moderate success - it's not a very good fit, so small needle nose pliers are probably better. You do need to push in hard at first to get the threads to bite before turning clockwise. The added C clamp sounds a good idea for this. If they haven't been touched for a while, say 60,000m on the last set of pads, then I'd highly recommend clamping the hydraulic hose and removing the calipers to the bench, where you can apply more force. At that mileage anyway you want to replace the brake fluid and clean & lube the caliper pins (with brake grease or preferably some silicone compound). They also tend to sieze at high mileage if not maintained.
Doing a thorough job always pays off and don't forget the rear calipers have to be bled in the ABS fashion, you can't just pump the brake pedal - you need to switch on the ignition, allowing the accumulator to build pressure, push the pedal down once and then carefully release each bleed nipple for about 10 secs at a time and the fluid automatically flows. Beware of the high pressure that the fluid comes out & turn the ignition on & off each time you release fluid until all the air is gone. The Haynes manual has a very good write-up on this and is only around $16.

Last edited:
The one that fits is the KD Disc Brake Piston Tool part #3355. It is round, has the two tabs that fit the pistons and it goes on a 3/8" square drive extension or ratchet. It may be found at auto parts stores and I have even started to see KD stuff in Sears.

MyToolStore (http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/kdindex.html) has them for about $13.

3355.gif

If at all possible, get the tool.

I did it with needle nose pliers and hated it. They turn really hard for about 50% of the travel. And trying to hold the caliper with one hand, while using the other with a pliers plus applying pressure is not easy at all.

I used channel lock pliers to turn the piston, vise grips to hold the caliper, and band-aids to patch my knuckles. It can be done, but the tool is better.

Remove the pads and put the caliper back on the bracket.Then use the proper KD tool mentioned earlier .The bracket holds the caliper so you don't have to.No busted knuckles and it only takes a few minutes.

Thank you

I wanted to say thanks, the response by everybody was great and I have remedied the situation. Thanks again to everybody that responded to my need.

Pat

Back