cam help please!!!!!!!

esgtbird

i am building my 1990 sc i put a complete 95 motor in it with ported heads, ported blower, fmic, custom top, 50lb injectors, 75tb, 76 mass, headers. dual 2 1/2 exhaust, 255 fuel pump the list goes on. the problem i am having is no one has a core to grind me a cam and i want a good cam to wake the car up. can anyone tell me where i can go to get a custom grind on a cam where the person knows about supercoupe motors. comp has no cores. Or if some on can tell me a good grind specs for the cam i am being told two ways to grind the cam one says 216 @ 50 intake 209 @ 50 exh with a 573n lift 114 duration the other say 220 @ 50 intake 220 @ 50 exh with 525 lift with a 113 duration what should i do????????

I'm glad you asked. If you are looking for a good cam....wait, make that a GREAT cam.....then look no further. You should have a choice of mutliple grinds offering power from wherever it ends up to no more than 800 HP at the crank!!!!! That's right...800!!! It would be hard to physically list all the places to get the cam and all of the grinds that have very very specific goals designed to give you the outcome you will be hoping for. If you do a quick search in these forums (via the search button) you should pull up vast amount of information to either address your questions or further obfuscate the issue. Good luck!!!

Micah

The last I heard Comp now has blanks and is offering new cams of various grinds for late model 3.8 Fords. Did that change as of late? If not I'd go with a new cam rather than a regrind.

P.S. Micah, I know you probably posted it before but what was your rear wheel HP & torque before the AR went in? Just curious.

Last edited:
Micahdogg said:
It was 286HP and 369T. Why, you getting that itch?
Micah

I'm definitely getting itch,:D I just need to square away some other things first and then see what Dave's got going.

I don't know who the hell told you those numbers but they are completely wrong for a forced air engine.

You want more duration on the exhaust valve than the intake. Look at the spec on that cam card that is linked on here and you'll see what I mean.

Now what you where told will work good for a N/A engine but not for ours.

Cam selection is tied to other valvetrain concerns and head flow capabilities so there isn't one answer that fits all.

For heads that have 75-85% IE flow (typical) you'll want to favor exhaust flow and keep the seperation as high as possible. If you have better heads (90-95% IE flow (CMSII or better) then you don't need to favor the exhaust and can push the limits more. Ultimately you'll be limited by blower and rpm capabilities of the motor which for most SC's means 6000rpm. If you go after too much duration you'll just kill low end and not realize any gains below the rpm where the blower packs it in and quits.

Typically 210/220 or there-abouts is a good starting point on duration and as much lift as your valvetrain will handle. If you are interested in hearing more of a lope or if you think your setup is the schizzle and are more interested in racing than fuel economy you can step that up to 224/230 or there abouts. You have to know what your valvetrain can handle before maximum lift can be determined and you must have the gearing to make the more aggressive profiles work right.

As for getting a cam right now, Comp is out of new billets and last I checked they don't know when they are getting them in. Many people here are waiting on cams and have been waiting for over a month now. Regrinds can be had much faster but you are somewhat limited on profile and you'll need to degree the cam which can add more cost to the whole project.

Reverse pattern cams do work on our motors but they require that all the ducks line up. I wouldn't go after that unless you have a tried and tested combination that you know will work with it (CM comes to mind ;)).

Last edited:
XR7 Dave said:
Reverse pattern cams do work on our motors but.....
OK Dave, I've been around cams for many years, but WTH is a Reverse Pattern cam? Are you talking about a Split Pattern? I know of Reverse Rotation cams for the backwards rotation motor in boats. :confused:

68COUGAR

Back