Help with brakes, steering column, everything!!!

1991blacksc

Hey everyone, a week ago I jumped in my 91 sc and started it and both the "brake" and "ABS" lights were on and my brakes were rock hard, then my VMM totally stopped working, so I hopped in it today to get ABS codes, turned the key and it turned like normal but nothing happened at all, every once in a while if I flicked the key around enough I could get everything to turn on. So after I played with it for a while I had the key all the way forward and it felt like something kinda snapped or gave way, after that the key would not turn back to the off position. I pulled the ignition cylinder out and it all looked good so I tried to stick a large screwdriver into the slot that the end of the ignition cylinder goes into to get it to turn backwards any and it would not budge. So that is where I decided to stop. Any and all help is greatly appreciated, hopefully someone will know what I broke this time:D
Thanks, Matt Cool

Welcome,
your ignition switch is falling apart, literally. Do a search. There is an easy fix for that.
paul

Well today I bought a new ignition cylinder and popped it in but the key still wont turn back to the off position. So I am guessing that whatever else is inside the steering column is broken since the slotted opening that the ignition cylinder goes into will not move at all. If anyone knows what could be causing this I would really like to figure this out. Thanks everyone, Matt Cool.

Ignition SWITCH, not lock.
Its inside the steering column, Its white and held-on by 2 tamper proof torx screws--T25 or 30 I think.

There is a metal rod that links the lock cylinder to the ignition switch. If it was stressed, it could have popped out. This could be what is preventing it from returning when you try to "turn the key off".

Thanks everyone for all your help, I put in a new ignition switch and everything works great. Thanks again, Matt Cool.:D

Back