PDA

View Full Version : Auto dim rear view mirror question

charged92
07-07-2006, 09:42 AM
I picked up an auto dim mirror for my 92. It didn't have one originally. I got all the wiring with it. Will there be a plug to plug it into so I can "plug and play" or will there be more to it than that?

Thanks

brdman2
07-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Please let me know how it goes, and what yours looks like. I bought a pretty clean '92 SC end of May that had some parts removed, like the inside rear-view mirror. The car has auto on/off/delay (not auto-dimming) headlights, and according to the literature the automatic dimming mirror was supposed to be included with the autolamp package.
Question for you, or anyone more knowledgeable than me: What is the correct automatic mirror for a '92 with moonroof, if at all? The roof switch panel in the headliner has map lights and switches included, which are go on with all other interior lights, too. I've heard of the auto mirrors with map lights built in, but don't know if they are for early years, w/o map lights in header, or what. This type would be overkill with existing lights. There are no wires hanging down at all, but I can sort of feel a groove in the headliner where an original wiring harness might have gone. Will have to pull the panel to see what's left or there, but I would like to know for sure, if possible, what mirror should be there. Salesman found a used manual dimming mirror, so at least I can see behind me, but I'd like to put the car back to original if possible.
Thanks, and good luck!

68COUGAR
07-08-2006, 04:08 PM
The car has auto on/off/delay (not auto-dimming) headlights, and according to the literature the automatic dimming mirror was supposed to be included with the autolamp package.

Question for you, or anyone more knowledgeable than me: What is the correct automatic mirror for a '92 with moonroof, if at all? The roof switch panel in the headliner has map lights and switches included, which are go on with all other interior lights, too. I've heard of the auto mirrors with map lights built in, but don't know if they are for early years, w/o map lights in header, or what. This type would be overkill with existing lights.
I special ordered my '89 XR-7. It has Auto Lamp & Auto Lights & MOONROOF. When the moonroof was ordered, the auto dim mirror was replaced with a manual mirror w/map lights on the back of it. I've added the auto dim mirror, which uses the same plug as the mirror map lights.

If there is an Auto Dim Mirror w/Map Lights, I'd buy one in a second!!!!!! I've never seen or heard of such an animal, but I sure want one.

68COUGAR

Ddubb
07-08-2006, 05:51 PM
The autodim rear view mirrors arent made by Ford.

The same company makes them for both Ford and Chevy.

My 1999 Chevy Blazer has the Auto-Dim mirror With the Map lights, and it uses the same plugs as the autodim mirror on the 95 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC that we own - Ive never looked at the plug on my 94 SC, not sure if it came with Auto-dim.

- Dan

brdman2
07-11-2006, 06:19 PM
charged92,
I searched for "autodim mirror" and found some older and newer threads that deal with it. Someone found a plug under the headliner, but the concensus is that if there isn't a plug, you should be able to pull a hot & ground wire from visors or lights to run the mirror. I have not pulled my headliner out to see what's there on mine yet, but there seemed to be some good advice on other threads.
Hope this helps you!

The_Ghost
07-12-2006, 10:16 AM
How do I find out if my autodim mirror works?
The little green LED goes on, but that's about it. I have never noticed any difference with it. But then again, my windows are tinted and my rear view is kind of fuzzy as a result.

charged92
07-12-2006, 02:55 PM
charged92,
I searched for "autodim mirror" and found some older and newer threads that deal with it. Someone found a plug under the headliner, but the concensus is that if there isn't a plug, you should be able to pull a hot & ground wire from visors or lights to run the mirror. I have not pulled my headliner out to see what's there on mine yet, but there seemed to be some good advice on other threads.
Hope this helps you!

Thanks man, I too have been reading up on some older threads. To me it looks like it could go either way (plug or no plug) regardless I have the harness if I need to run it.:D

brdman2
07-12-2006, 07:40 PM
There's also the tccoa.com site. Under the Technical Articles, Interior there is a writeup about installing the electrochromatic mirror from scratch. Let us know how it goes!

thirdbird
07-12-2006, 08:30 PM
Hi,

I swapped in an auto rearview from a 92 into my 89.
My 89 came with the useless map lites built into the mirror, and no auto dim. Drove me nutty.
So I took the mirror and map lite switch panel out of my 92 b4 it got took away, and retroed em into my 89.
The plug on the 89 roof switch and the one on the 92 panel were different, but i was able to remove the stock connectors from the 89 panel, and slide them into the 92 panel's plug assy. The old switch was attached to a bracket, which I removed. The 92 switch panel went in with one 3.5 or 4" drywall screw, after some minor cutting of the headliner.
There are ignition switched +12v lines up there for the sunroof, I went with one of those, and connected the plug/wire assy from the 92 mirror to it and a ground wire from that harness too.
Now I have decent lighting, and an automatic mirror in my 89.
The 3-wire plug that goes to the mirror has a third lead which I metered in another car that came with the mirror, and its barely a volt when the headlights are turned on. I guess its a signal to tell the mirror whether the lites are on or not.??? Operation of this mirror does not seem to be affected by not having it connected.
I did not connect it to anything, just power and ground. I froget if its the middle wire or end that gets left aside. (I think its the middle one).

I did away with the auto Headlihgt dim sensor, because I don't like the way it doesn't work, plus I hardly use highbeams anyway. Well pointed low beams are a beautiful thing.
The highs for me are more for an 'i can't see what the hell that thing is' scenario. Anyway, that's what I did, case any of you hate those non powered mirrors like I do!
:D

paul

brdman2
07-13-2006, 01:30 PM
If I remember other posts, the third wire should be for reverse indicator. Supposedly, when backing up you don't want the mirror to autodim, but want full vision.
FWIW

BTW, how does the '92 panel come out of the headliner? I'd like to check for wires in my car, and think pulling the panel out would be easier & safer than dropping the headliner (less chance for damage). Does it just pop off, or do we need to pop out lights and/or switches to get access to the whole panel?
Thanks!

thirdbird
07-13-2006, 07:46 PM
BTW, how does the '92 panel come out of the headliner? I'd like to check for wires in my car, and think pulling the panel out would be easier & safer than dropping the headliner (less chance for damage). Does it just pop off, or do we need to pop out lights and/or switches to get access to the whole panel?
Thanks!

Remove black panel that is in the centre(says "Roof" on it) use small flathead screwdriver to pry in on the roof switch side of it. It should pop out. Youll see what I mean when you start prying at it. Then there are 2 phillips screws and shes' out.

paul

x182dan
07-13-2006, 07:49 PM
hey guys I have a question. My 90 doesn't have any interior lights is this how sc's are with sunroofs? All it has are the lights by your feet and in the back of the car but no lights in front so I could read something in the dark

92_coupe
07-16-2006, 03:17 AM
How do I find out if my autodim mirror works?
The little green LED goes on, but that's about it. I have never noticed any difference with it. But then again, my windows are tinted and my rear view is kind of fuzzy as a result.

Auto Dim Mirror Test.....

You sit in the drivers seat ..... your buddy in the back seat with a 500,000 candle power hand held spot lite.....he shines it into the mirror....then you tell us the results ? :cool:

EddiE

thirdbird
07-16-2006, 09:01 PM
Auto Dim Mirror Test.....

You sit in the drivers seat ..... your buddy in the back seat with a 500,000 candle power hand held spot lite.....he shines it into the mirror....then you tell us the results ? :cool:

EddiE
actually, any marginally bright flashlight pointed at the lite sensor will work.

brdman2
07-17-2006, 05:01 PM
hey guys I have a question. My 90 doesn't have any interior lights is this how sc's are with sunroofs? All it has are the lights by your feet and in the back of the car but no lights in front so I could read something in the dark

From what I've picked up looking through the forums, your rv mirror should probably have map lights in/on it. Is it possible that the mirror was replaced at some point? Do you have auto or manual mirror?

My '92 has map lights built into the roof switch panel, but I understand that was a later model feature.

x182dan
07-17-2006, 07:15 PM
From what I've picked up looking through the forums, your rv mirror should probably have map lights in/on it. Is it possible that the mirror was replaced at some point? Do you have auto or manual mirror?

My '92 has map lights built into the roof switch panel, but I understand that was a later model feature.

I have no map lights on the bottom of it. The rear view mirror was off the car when I bought so I had to glue it back on but other than that it seemed normal. I think my mirror is auto because it has a knob on it and a switch but it doesn't work so I don't know