PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Location.

tattoo
07-07-2006, 10:18 AM
Hey Guys,
This is an extension of my previous thread.
I'm looking for the exact location of the fuel pump on my 91sc.I am changing it from the inside.I need to know what's in the way.
If anyone has pics they could send aswell that would be great.
I will be taking pics of my own as i go.I will post them for anyone who does this in the future.

Thanks,Ed.

kenewagner
07-07-2006, 11:54 AM
Hey Guys,
This is an extension of my previous thread.
I'm looking for the exact location of the fuel pump on my 91sc.I am changing it from the inside.I need to know what's in the way.
If anyone has pics they could send aswell that would be great.
I will be taking pics of my own as i go.I will post them for anyone who does this in the future.

Thanks,Ed.

Sent you a PM about a previous thread. That has the pros and cons of doing it that way. Pro is fast clean and easy. Con is the danger of cutting into fuel line which will create more problems than if you had dropped the tank. Changed mine in 45 minutes. Not saying everyone should do it that way but it is an option.

Ken

kenewagner
07-07-2006, 02:01 PM
Click on kenewagner to the right where it show last reponse to the thread. It takes you to my profile. Click on all posts for kenewagner and than go to page 6 about midway down the page to thread titled Need help with fuel pump. There is a picture of where pump is located. It also has input from various members as to their thoughts on the subject. Hopes that helps if not PM me again

Ken

tattoo
07-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks Ken,
Looks like it's just over from the wires feeding into the tank.Do you happen to recall the space between the tank and floor?...Im just trying to figure out where the lines are.If anyone can chime in here with the location of the fuel lines on a 91sc tank that would help me out big time.

Tickler
07-07-2006, 03:17 PM
2-3 inches max. what your doing is actually very dangerous unless certain precautions have been made. These pumps last 150,000+ miles, are you sure you really really sure you need easy access to it?

kenewagner
07-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Thanks Ken,
Looks like it's just over from the wires feeding into the tank.Do you happen to recall the space between the tank and floor?...Im just trying to figure out where the lines are.If anyone can chime in here with the location of the fuel lines on a 91sc tank that would help me out big time.

The closer to the front edge you get the more the space. Aprox 2". the further back from the edge there is almost no clearance. I would disconnect the battery just for safety sake. It all sounds kind of dangerous but once you cut a small hole and see what you have under there there is not much that can happen. A good pair of tin snips will enlarge the hole, the pump can be popped out and a new one, in my case a bigger one, installed. I have a fabrication shop so making a small plate to pop rivet back into place was easy and the seat covers it all. My car is a 93 so I cant say if there is a deviation from one year to another

ThunderDave
07-07-2006, 11:43 PM
Please be careful and don't blow yourself up. If you could get the location marked for cutting and drop the tank down some, that would be ideal and would help eliminate the chances of cutting a fuel line or wiring. Just a thought.

tattoo
07-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Hey Guys,
I got it done today.Pics will follow.It was real easy.But my gas gauge reads empty and there is half a tank of fuel.Any ideas on this one?.....

Regards,Ed.

ThunderDave
07-08-2006, 07:17 PM
Does it run? Safety chairman? LOL :D
I'm sure everyone was happy to help out.

tattoo
07-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Yep it runs...!!!....Only problem i have now is the fuel gauge stuck on empty..With fuel in it.

Scott Long
07-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Did you plug the sender back in properly? I forget if there is a float on the pump assembly, if there is maybe yours is sticking. Next time I drop my tank, I'm going to cut an access hole through, I was thinking about this the other day. I have to swap tanks in my 92 soon, so I will cut a pass through just in case the pump ever goes out again it will be less hassle.

Thomas A
07-08-2006, 11:51 PM
I can change an SC fuel pump in 45 minutes the traditional way, but that's just me :D

Thomas