Clutch

CougarXR/7

Is there a best choice for a clutch disc, pressure plate and throw out bearing? Will be changing a clutch soon and just wondering if the S. C. works best with a particular brand? Is resetting the clutch cable adjustment a pain?

Answers will vary depending on taste. I've got a Centerforce DF in my XR-7 and like it very much. The kit I bought came with the pressure plate, clutch disc and throwout bearing. The clutch actuation on our cars is hydraulic so there is no clutch cable. I can tell you from experience though that it is an excellent idea to replace the slave cylinder inside the bellhousing when you do change the clutch. I've had to drop the transmission an extra few times on various cars because of bad slaves surfacing after replacing the clutch. Also don't forget about the pilot bearing in the back of the crank. If you do look for a Centerforce clutch go through a distributor. Direct they are pretty pricey. I bought a Centerforce gold for my '95 a few years ago from an outfit called Performance International (http://www.performanceintl.com/) and they seemed to have good prices.

Won't have to adjust and clutch cables, SCs have hydraulic clutches so youll have to bleed it like brakes.

If your car is stock or only slightly modified then the LUK Gold kit (OEM replacement) will do nicely and, a lot less expensive than Centerforce. However, you definitely need to replace the internal slave cylinder (standard Ford part), pilot bearing & have the flywheel cut. Not a bad idea to replace the master cylinder as well, while the trans is out the way. Can be done anytime but much easier access without the trans.

Back