turn the wheel - rpms drop

sabre81

when i turn the steering wheel when stopped the rpms go down about 300-400 rpms. is this normal? i can hear the engine slow down a bit when i turn thr wheel. Not much whining though from the steering.

am i just being paranoid?

thanks

Sounds like....

A slow responding IAC.

You see as you turn the wheel when the car is stopped you are putting additional strain on the power steering pump, which in turn puts more strain on the engine.

Normally, the computer would detect the slight change in idle speed and open up the IAC to respond to the increased load. A similar thing happens when you turn your A/C system on.

Now if the IAC is gummy or old, then it won't respond quickly or at all.

That would be the first area that I would be checking......

i also have that with my car as well, is there any thing else it could be? an alternator? my iac is a tad over a year old.
thanks

hopefully not, they were replaced back in march, i guess they cant be totally ruled out but im hoping :p .. no vibration at redlights is sort of a good sign for me :)

I was going to mention engine mounts, but had to watch Arnold Schwarzenneger in Collateral Damage instead :)

I also thought that I had little GOOD info to add, but I'll go ahead anyway. My wiring diagrams are not sufficient for this, but the pwr steering has a pressure switch which connects to the EEC. This gives the EEC a heads up, rather than letting it react slowly to a change in engine speed. There are 2 things on your engine which can cause a sudden load, the A/C compressor and the power steering, and both are monitored by the EEC separately.

Hopefully, someone can identify the wiring colors.

Back