using magnecor wires

Merlon

i am changing my plgus and maybe the wireset. dont know how old the wires are or the plugs. using autolites double plats, and thinking about using magnecors. any good? currently i have motorcraft wires 8mm but i am not sure about the age. they dont have a date which makes me believe that they are replacments.

anyone have anything bad to say about magnecors?>

I prefer Taylor

Merlon said:
i am changing my plgus and maybe the wireset. dont know how old the wires are or the plugs. using autolites double plats, and thinking about using magnecors. any good? currently i have motorcraft wires 8mm but i am not sure about the age. they dont have a date which makes me believe that they are replacments.

anyone have anything bad to say about magnecors?>

I had a set of Magnacors on the engine before this one and had a constant problem with somne of the wires vibrating off the spark plugs - particularly #6, which was was relatively easy to reach to put back on. I wrote to Magnecor about the problem and received this response:

To: "Edward Donato" <my work e-mail where I get enough spam already>
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 3:54 PM
Subject: Re: I'm not thrilled
>
> This is common with Super Coupes... the wires are extremely difficult to
> fit (probably amongst the most difficult that I know of) and it is very,
> very easy to damage them while being fitted, which is what you probably
> have done. This problem is caused often by overuse of silicone grease
> inside the spark plug boots - but damage is the most likely.
>
> Our wires do fit fine and do not inherently vibrate off the spark plugs
> (otherwise other Super Coupe owners would not be recommending them and we
> could not actually sell a product that does this) - if you send is the
> wires we should be able to repair them.
>
> It is possible you have bad wires (although very unlikely for more than 1
> in the set, but anything is possible), in which case the bad wire or wires
> are under warranty.
>
> Steve Brown - Magnecor (Michigan, USA)
> Telephone: 248-471-9505
> Fax: 248-471-9506
> WWW: http://www.magnecor.com
>
> Mailing Address:
> 24581 Crestview
> Farmington Hills, MI 48335
> USA
>
>

I ended up taking the Magnecors off and putting the stock Motorcraft back on with no further problems. After dropping a valve and building another engine, I got a new set of Taylors. No problems with them.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

i have had mine on the car for almost 5 years now and i check a plug on each side after each run. after hundreds of passes i had no troubles. I would recommend them

well its either the mags

or motorcraft oem relacments. i have the motorcrarft 8mm on but i cant tell the age.

would these be best? or should i wait on taylors or mags?

the motorcrafts are like $57, not to bad.

Bang for the buck stock replacements are fine in most cases. I know of several low 13s SC's w/ stock wires and no problems.

-Tim

I think Magnecore's are junk and made of inferior materials. They constantly misfired, fell off the plugs, and got damaged much too easily. The stock wires run circles around them. This Steve Brown fellow was a jerk and did nothing but make excuses and then refused to return my set when I sent them in for replacement after only 3 weeks of use.

I like the Taylor spiro cores. Stock replacment OEM wires are too easy to damage, I've screwed up stock wires just taking the wire on and off the plugs.

Don't have any experince with Magnacores.

David

David Neibert said:
I like the Taylor spiro cores. Stock replacment OEM wires are too easy to damage, I've screwed up stock wires just taking the wire on and off the plugs.

Don't have any experince with Magnacores.

David

David where can I get the Taylor wires I was just looking into getting a set of wires

well i bought a set

of Motorcraft 8mm that fit niceley. onyl problem is the friend who was ogng to hepl saw the engine bay and walked...

I have never changed a Tbird SC plugs, or wires. daunting task man.
should i get some ramps and bite the bullit and do em on the weekend?im not talking any intercooler parts out, and i hear with some massaging of the heater hoses,

get a few extensions?
damn cuz i am not paying a mechanic for 3 hours of work.

Merlon said:
of Motorcraft 8mm that fit niceley. onyl problem is the friend who was ogng to hepl saw the engine bay and walked...

I have never changed a Tbird SC plugs, or wires. daunting task man.
should i get some ramps and bite the bullit and do em on the weekend?im not talking any intercooler parts out, and i hear with some massaging of the heater hoses,

get a few extensions?
damn cuz i am not paying a mechanic for 3 hours of work.

THE DRIVERS SIDE ISNT TOO BAD FROM UNDERNEATH. A COUPLE OF EXTENSIONS AND SWIVELS SHOULD DO IT. ON THE PASSENGERS SIDE, UNBOLT THE AC COMPRESSOR (4 BOLTS IN RECTANGULAR PATTERN- DONOT REMOVE THE LINES FROM THE COMPRESSOR!!) AND SWING IT OUT OF THE WAY. THE PLUGS ARE PRETTY VISIBLE FROM THERE AND NOT TOO BAD TO GET TOO. ITS NO SMALL BLOCK CHEVY IN A PICK UP TYPE OF JOB, BUT ITS MANAGEABLE WITH A LITTLE TIME, ELBOW GREASE, AND A SIX PACK.

yeah cool. i looked at the pass

side to see if its soable. not too bad. a few hoses in the way but i know where they are. ill see what i can do from the top, before i go under it and blind.

another question, are te app764 autolite double plats good for my 90 sc?

it is supposed to be a heat range colder

running cai, and hf cats.
thats it

i know a colderplug is good for forced induction. and also i cant find 92 octane, i get 91 ron in california. so it sohld help under boost to keep me from stubling.

that bieng said i also hear a .35 gap is good or better than the .54

apparently it will keeep it pulling strong under boost, but have a slightly rougher idle

Back