Well I picked out the intercooler.

Tubing...

What are you plans as far as the piping is concerned. I thought about doing a custom IC set-up also, however, I'd also have to have someone bend the piping which I figure will be expensive. Any ideas?

I plan on routing the tubing through the old intercoolers spot, and then around to the new one. Nothing fancy.

I bought one of the piping kits off ebay too, in black, for 99$. its like 8 different lengths of tubing, so I should be able to cut em and get what I need to get done done.

Last edited:
hmm..

Well do you plan on having someone bend the piping in it, or does the piping kit have bends already in it?

Also, how does this set-up compare with that of say the MP FMIC. Considering you just did the same thing for 300 bucks as they do for 1200 bucks, what are the downfalls if any to the one you made? I must be missing something. I do understand that the MP one is a bolt-on part and specifically designed for an SC, however, how do you justify that extra almost 1,000 dollars. Are the gains expected to be similiar?

i'll bet you'll see better gains than a mp intercooler for the simple fact that it's a true front mount i/c as opposed to the i/c being sandwiched between the radiator(heat) and ac condenser.i'm with you the mp is way overpriced but when you're the only one making them you can set your own price.

PearlBird said:
People pay alot for "bolt on kits" If you have a lil common sense, and like working on your car, you can accomplish alot yourself.

The gains should be just as good as the magnum powers FMIC.

Yes the piping I bought is 8 pieces of pipe, with 4 different sizes and bends, so 2 of each. heres the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-5-...tegoryZ33742QQihZ015QQitemZ250006043963QQrdZ1

Great, thanks for the information. I have another question to add. Where, and how do you plan to attach that to the car? I assume your going to be making the brackets to mount that. I wouldn't think that would be to hard though.

Edit: Are you also going to use the stock top and stock lower intercooler tube location to attach the piping? You'll just take off the stock IC piping I assume?

yeah Im gonna use the Tbolts and silicone couplers to route the hoses and use the stock top. I am hoping I can squeeze the upper pipe by the condenser but we will see after I get the front bumper off. I really want to keep my ac.

And yes I think some 1/4 steel plate should be good for brackets.

well I for one know that my setup not only is just as good if not better than the MP setup I do not have to worry about moving or cutting anything both pipes come in and exit the same side and if you reasearch intercoolers you want the path of least resistance with the most cooling surface area. A horizontal while it has a superior flow being it goes straight through has to travel the extra length to get the opposite side while not cooling down as much as a vertical, mine uses same side so I lost no response and acually gained full boost faster. My vertical core acually has more cooling area and more tubes for the air to pass through. I used 2.5 inner tubing to make my pipes unlike the 3 inch alot of people use as this is too big for most if not all boosted applications, it too will slow down response and power. I had a friend of mine build the mandrel piping and then I powercoated it black with cuplers, cooler, piping, and T-bolts I am into my setup a total of $380. Being that i am using the bigger AR I know this cooler setup is working perfect!! I would be willing to duplicate my set up for anyone interested for $500+ shipping and it would be a direct bolt in!

boostedbird

Your direct bolt on kit, would work only for AR cars right?

And you have a 2.2 AR? Hmm i didn't know that

mywhite89 said:
Your direct bolt on kit, would work only for AR cars right?

And you have a 2.2 AR? Hmm i didn't know that

As to the first ? yes I still have the AC condenser and it required no changing to it. I am about to remove it as I do not use AC anyway and so out it will come with all other AC pieces to remove even more weight then I have already.

No I do not have the 2.2 I have the 1.7L AR, and the kit will work with the AR and the M90 blowers because I am still using the MP raised top and it sits in the same location as it did with the M90. I have made another kit identical to mine for a guy here thats running the MPIII and it fit perfect and it runs great just not as fast as mine hahaha:D

Do you mind sharing a few pictures of where you how you ran the intercooler tubes my the condenser? I plan on putting it together myself, just wanted to see how some people have ran thiers.

PearlBird said:
Do you mind sharing a few pictures of where you how you ran the intercooler tubes my the condenser? I plan on putting it together myself, just wanted to see how some people have ran thiers.

Yeah i will have to go get my buddies camera and get it uploaded so give me a bit. I think I already posted a few pics, yep if you go to the search and type in pics of engine and car by me in the non tech you can get a few pics of what my set up looks like. HTHs

Last edited:
PearlBird said:
YOU need to take your front bumper cover off and take me a picture =D

Yeah thats going to happen haha! It took long to get everything lined up perfect but I will see what i can do

Did u go under the condesner and back up to your new fmic? I was looking at things in there and without one of those "Shorter" condensers, that looks like what would have to be done.

Back