harmonic balancer

jonnyblaze

help.iam trying to put a new harmonic balancer on my 89sc my is there a special tool that is used or can ijust tap it back on with a rubber mallet has anyone replace theirs if so how did you do it thanks guys

I used a 3 screw type puller, available at Autozone or any supply house. I also replaced front seal(pain in the a##). I tapped the balancer on with a rubber mallet until I could get the bolt to start threading. BTW, go to ford and buy a new bolt also.

BE CAREFUL!!! the harmonic balancer might be too small. u might have to have its inside diameter honed to fit it perfectly. you only want about 0.001 to 0.0015(i believe) of a difference between it and the crank. if the clearance is too large you can mess up the keyway and if its too tight it can actually weld its self the the crank. use a micrometer to get an accurate size of the crank and take the damper/harmonic balancer to a machine shop and have them hone it, unless u can do it urself. it cost me 20usd to have my BHJ damper honed. im not quite sure for stock but i imagine it would be the same.

The stock damper does not have to be honed to fit. It's center hub is aluminum and is a little more forgiving than the steel BHJ aftermarket part.

While it doesn't hurt to mark the pulley when it is taken off the damper, the bolts are offset so that it will only fit back on correctly.

You can buy the proper installation tool at some parts stores (beware of cheap imitations) or a tool house. It is much safer and easier than using a mallet. I would suggest against using the mallet. If you do buy the tool, make sure you get one that has adapters for the metric threads in the crank snout. Some have said they had a difficult time finding one, but the one I got had adapters for several different standard and metric threads.

thanks for all the help guys .i finally got the balancer on it was a new stock balancer i took a chance and tapped it on with a mallet it worked fine so far.but i would have prefferd to use the correct tool for thejob .i went to a lot of different parts store but i just could not find such a tool.all the stores had the pullers but not the installers.

Back