PDA

View Full Version : Question about running rough

gbabione
07-11-2006, 11:46 PM
I started my SC up after it sat for nearly a year with a leaking tranny. When I started it, it ran real rough and left black spots on the ground from the exhaust. It didn't do this before I parked it. I pulled all the plugs and found them to be solid black. I cleaned and reinstalled them. When I started it, it still ran rough. Any ideas on why it is doing this, I would appreciate it.

Tickler
07-12-2006, 01:58 AM
Is the gas a year old? either you have some messed up sensors or some leaky injectors. I believe new plugs and filters are in order, couldint hurt to check your fuel pressure regulator hose to see if theirs gas in it, indicating failure. You didint fog it before you stored it did u?

gbabione
07-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Since I had pulled the tranny, I had completely emptied the gas tank. I don't know what fogging it is, so I didn't do that. I did start it a couple times before I dropped the tranny. This was the third time I had dropped it but I never had a problem before. One of the plastic lines by the gas tank did get bent pretty good went I dropped the tank this time, but it straightened right out and I didn't see anything wrong with it. How do I check each of the sensors and the fuel pressure regulator hose? The book I have doesn't show any of this.

Tickler
07-12-2006, 01:50 PM
It was a shot in the dark, Have you checked for any codes?

skydivr7673
07-12-2006, 07:40 PM
please dont take this as rude, but the car has been sitting for a year. When it sits like that, it is bound not to run smooth when you start it. A common thing is moisture or dirt in the fuel lines....how is the air filter? Plug wires?

I would recommend starting with the most basic things, like plugs and wires, air filter, fuel filter, and so on. It could just need to be blown out a bit too....and if you take the plugs out again, be sure to replace them. The cost is not very much and they are not the easiest plugs to get to...time for me to swap out mine too.

7birdslater
07-12-2006, 09:08 PM
Could simply be "re-learning". I would run it for a while and see if it gets better. You might even get a code letting you know why. Mine sat for probably 2 years between breaking the balancer, and me buying and fixing it. It did the two black spots on the grass thing when I started it, but slowly got better with a few good heat cycles.

gbabione
07-13-2006, 01:35 AM
I have run it a few times including driving it to the gas station. The plugs and wires have less than 10,000 miles on them. That was my first thought though. I just wanted to see if I should check something else first.