Help, Injector leaking, seal or cracked??

Jogi

There has been always little gasoline smell in engine bay after driving and today I looked source for it little closer. There was little gasoline around injector 1 and when I touched it's wireplug there was thin but strong stream of gasoline (no dripping..) coming just under fuelrail hat. I'm not familar with injectors, could it be bad seal or bad fit (injector -> fuelrail hat) or is injector cracked??

How injectors are connected to fuelrail hats?? just O ring or what?

Is it difficuld to replace just one injector, how much I have to strip parts from engine to get No:1 injector out?

I think there are o-rings on both ends of the injectors and with age, they do dry up and can cause leaking. You might be able to find some o-rings the correct size at the parts store.

You'll need to take out the fuel rail hold down bolts to get the injector out to work on it. Be carefull taking the plug off, as the clips can break easily too. When putting it back in, make sure you get them seated properly.

Might not be a bad idea to do them all if you want. Be sure to activate the inertia switch and let the car run till it cuts off. This will releive the fuel pressure before starting work on it. Be sure to reset the switch when you are done.

Last edited:
RadiumSC said:
I think there are o-rings on both ends of the injectors and with age, they do dry up and can cause leaking. You might be able to find some o-rings the correct size at the parts store.

You'll need to take out the fuel rail hold down bolts to get the injector out to work on it. Be carefull taking the plug off, as the clips can break easily too. When putting it back in, make sure you get them seated properly.

Might not be a bad idea to do them all if you want. Be sure to activate the inertia switch and let the car run till it cuts off. This will releive the fuel pressure before starting work on it. Be sure to reset the switch when you are done.

NAPA has the orings
and as dave said MAKE SURE you seat the injectors on both ends before starting, I caused a fire by failing to do so once and scared the doo doo out of me. Good idea is to disconnect the dis and pressurize the system and check for leaks thats what I failed to do.

S

shadow357x2 said:
Good idea is to disconnect the dis and pressurize the system and check for leaks thats what I failed to do.

S

That's a great idea too. Do they have NAPA in Finland?:confused:

RadiumSC said:
That's a great idea too. Do they have NAPA in Finland?:confused:

DUUUHHHHH< didnt see that:eek: , He may have to order them from the stealerships over there or on this side of the pond...

S = BIG DUMMY for not paying attention

These are quite new 42lbs injectors (by previous owner) so good news is that I only have to buy 1 if it is not just seal/misaligment.

Does anyone have picture how deep those fuelrail hats should go?

The injectors usually have steel clips that slide onto the injector and help retain it onto the rail. There are grooves in the top of the injector that allow the steel clip to slide in, then springy edge looking things grab the cup on the fuel rail.

If the injector isn't seated fully, the groves won't line up so the clip can fit.

Now if you don't have clips it makes it a little more difficult to figure out. The pictures on this site might help. It's the rail off a 4.6, but the depth is similar. They kinda pop into the rail and should require some effort to remove.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/scinject.html

8 hours, that was the time it took.. I had to remove the supercharger to get my hands on to the fuelrail and injectors... EGR was pain to remove, I wish I have had much smaller hands when did that :(

Injectors... well, 4 of them were fitted kinda wrong way and prone to leak (2 of them was already leaking) as only lower part of fuelrail hats were contacting injector O-ring. I can imagine they were first installed to the intake and after that fuelrail was plugged in... bad idea! Injectors kinda "snap" in the fuelrail hats, but slide/wiggle in intake holes.
It is almost impossible to "snap" them to the hats if all are already installed to intake.

Two of them I got free and installed right way, other two.. well I did not want to remove any more parts to get other side of fuelrail lifted so after almost 1 hour wiggling injectors trying to get them fit into hats better plan B walked in.. a wood stick and a rubber hammer.. I "gently" forced the fuelrail hats deeper into injectors. Desperate move from desperate man :( but it worked.. this time :)

So there, happy ending, no more fuel leaking under hats :)

Back