PDA

View Full Version : AC compressor won't turn on!!!

x182dan
07-12-2006, 07:03 PM
I bought the car will the plug on the AC compresser being all chewed up. I bought a new plug and spliced it in and now still nothing. When I turn the ac on the compressor doesn't turn at all. How could I go about checking to see if the plug is getting power from the car or what should I do?
Dan

skydivr7673
07-12-2006, 07:15 PM
ok, hope this helps...

the ac system is designed to stay off if there is not enough refrigerant in there. This is to prevent damaging the compressor. It could very well be that you just need a recharge.

What year is the car?

x182dan
07-13-2006, 07:17 PM
ok, hope this helps...

the ac system is designed to stay off if there is not enough refrigerant in there. This is to prevent damaging the compressor. It could very well be that you just need a recharge.

What year is the car?

the car is a 90 but it was recharged some 10-20k miles ago with the conversion

Cobra85
07-13-2006, 09:23 PM
It doesn't matter how many miles ago it was charged. If there is a leak, it probably has too little freon left in it to turn on the compressor. Put a set of guages on it to chek for a charge. There must be at least 30lbs on the low side to cycle the compressor.

x182dan
07-13-2006, 10:13 PM
I figured no matter what the compressor would turn. My old 94sc would turn over and it didn't really blow out all that cold. The compressor is a replacement one. How could I check if power is getting to the plug?

Tickler
07-13-2006, 11:05 PM
Is that 30lbs pressure on the low pressure side when the compressors not running?

skydivr7673
07-14-2006, 12:20 AM
It doesn't matter how many miles ago it was charged. If there is a leak, it probably has too little freon left in it to turn on the compressor. Put a set of guages on it to chek for a charge. There must be at least 30lbs on the low side to cycle the compressor.

Not exactly. The compressor will cycle as you are recharging the system. There has to be some refrigerant in there for the compressor to trip, but the a/c guages I have all say that between 25-40 psi is "full". The compressor will spin even with no refrigerant in there, but the clutch on the face of the compressor pulley will let you know what is going on. When the system is not on, the clutch plate is stationary....and when it cycles on, of course, then the clutch will spin.

I figured no matter what the compressor would turn. My old 94sc would turn over and it didn't really blow out all that cold. The compressor is a replacement one. How could I check if power is getting to the plug?

You could always run continuity checks on the wires--that would tell you if there was a short in either the wire or the plug. But when you say "the compressor would turn over", were you referring to it free-wheeling, or was the clutch engaged? Chances are, the clutch was off and the system was not cycling because the freon was low.

Is that 30lbs pressure on the low pressure side when the compressors not running?

well, like I said, the numbers are not exactly right. But yes, the low side. you NEVER want to connect to the high side.

And, if you are showing 30psi on low side, but your compressor still isnt kicking on, then the compressor may have locked up. It is not that uncommon on our cars for that to happen.

XR7inWI
07-14-2006, 10:54 AM
Pull the plug off the top of the accumulator (back by the firewall) and jump the two connections in the plug with a jumper wire. If the AC compressor kicks on then you are low on pressure.

DO NOT RUN IT THIS WAY FOR MORE THAN A COUPLE SECONDS!!!! You will be just fine to CHECK it this way but do not allow the compressor to continue to run without proper refrigerant pressure.

If the compressor does not kick on with the jumper wire in that plug, then it is likely the compressor itself that is shot.

Good Luck.

x182dan
07-14-2006, 05:45 PM
Pull the plug off the top of the accumulator (back by the firewall) and jump the two connections in the plug with a jumper wire. If the AC compressor kicks on then you are low on pressure.

DO NOT RUN IT THIS WAY FOR MORE THAN A COUPLE SECONDS!!!! You will be just fine to CHECK it this way but do not allow the compressor to continue to run without proper refrigerant pressure.

If the compressor does not kick on with the jumper wire in that plug, then it is likely the compressor itself that is shot.

Good Luck.

how about the 2wires that are going to the plug? I just want to make sure that power is actually getting to the compressor

Tickler
07-16-2006, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the info, I'll try not to blow myself up.

x182dan
07-21-2006, 09:23 PM
well I put a gauge on it and it read nothing so I guess either the ac system had a leak and it all leaked out or the previous owner released the system when he did the headgaskets.