Dodge Durango R/T

90XR7Cougar5spd

Anyone got any opinions on them?? I went looking at one today, it was a red 01. Really really slick lookin SUV. Any problems with them??? Checked the fuel milage in it and it was horrible, 11 MPG.. But with AWD and a 360, what do you expect. Do they tow well and if so, how much can they handle??

Derek

had one, two words. Tranny problems>

Nice roar from the exhaust after a cat back system a CAi and a few hot rodder techniques had me suprising a few mustangs and other "sporty " cars. Overall a prety cool SUV butthe trannys will go at or before 100K also rear ends will grenade sometime after that .
That is without towing ...

Depends on the rear end.

Trannies are a weak point, but the can be built strong. Many Dakota's and durangos with that motor have some massive power going through them at drag strips.

True , I am speaking As is , from the factory!
If you plan to tow an auxiluary cooler and a different converter are a must.

The suspension and brakes are more for a handling compromise than towing.

I have one and enjoy it, I get 16-17mpg highway and 13-14 around town. I have 73k on the clock, and it runs quite strong. Things to date:
Thermostat housing leaking (replaced under warranty ~24k mi)
TPS sensor (~60k miles) 23$ from Advanced Auto
Rear speed sensor (~66k miles) 30$ from Advanced Auto
Normal oil / rear / transmission changes along the way.

I suggest never letting anyone flush the transmission in the D. I have heard both sides of the fence on this, and I wouldn't do it. Drop the pan, put a new filter in, and adjust the bands.

There is a TSB for balljoint replacement from years 00-03, covered at the dealership. (read free) I would highly suggest getting the D checked for ball joint problems, and have them replaced free at the dealer. (Thanks mopar for non greasable joints)

Transmission is the weakest point in the whole drivetrain, I would expect the tranny to die around 100-170k if the last owner took care of it. Some people have nearly 300k and still have the stock transmission but I wouldn't count on getting that far.

Check the owners manual and see if it is labeled as a 'premium fuel only' D. In 00' when the R/T came out mopar added a more aggressively timed pcm to the vehicle (not as aggressive as a mopar performance pcm) which required that you ran premium fuel. In 01 I believe midway through the run they switched back to a less agressively timed pcm which did not require premium fuel. On this note, you may want to read any work orders that the previous owner may have. There is a 'death flash' to the pcm where if a customer comes in complaining of pinging, they remove so much timing from the pcm the vehicle feels very doggy.

Things that are different from an 01 SLT with similar options: wheel / tire combo (17" r/t wheels), R/T embossed seats, upgraded shocks (which I would still replace with monroe sensatracs), louder muffler with polished tip, and different pcm.

I have a FM cat back + mopar pcm + fastman TB + IP 3 cia on mine, and it does what I ask it to do. I have towed my car through the mountains from MD > PA and you know its back there but it tows it just fine. I added firestone airbags to level it out when towing. I tow probably once every 3-4 months with it. Works great as a people mover and the seats fold nearly flat for larger object moving also.

If you are looking to tow things more frequent I would suggest stepping up to a larger truck (ford 250 /dodge 2500) with the diesels. I've towed my car behind a ford excursion with the 7.3 and you don't know the car is behind you. The added firmness and weight of a larger vehicle when towing frequently is priceless. I don't tow frequently so the D does what I need it to do.

Last edited:
Besides trannys I have heard that the transfer case is another problem with Durangos. My buddy's parents had one that they babied and never even used 4X4 before but right before they traded it in with around 80-90k on the clock the tranny along with the transfer case started to let go.

Shane

after all these years would you think the would finally make a car that had no problems... why are trannys still going out ? maybe make them better or stronger, if they make kits to build them better why don't they do that at the factory and get a better name for themselves ?

I had an 02 r/t and loved it while I had it but it did have some problems

@ 5 miles (on the way home) I heard a rattle when I hit a bump, Turns out they forgot to put the top bolt on the front Left shock. in the shop for a day

@ around 240 miles same nut came off agian, the shock came out of the retainer flopped around and messed up the rim pretty bad. They replaced the entire suspension on that side as weel as the rim

@ around 2500 AWD went out replaced

@ around 14000 Differential started to leak they replaced the seal

@ around 20000 Transfere case went out, replaced

I kept it until 84000 miles and after the last transfere case I had no problems, it tows like a champ but i hope you like single digit fuel econ. when towing
the best I ever got was on my way out west i got 14 on the highway, city 11 on a good week I have a FPIK from K&N and headers so I should have been getting better mileage than most but i was disapointed. Towing the SC with an open air tandem trailer I think I got 6 at best? I loved the Truck but when gas was 2.00 a gallon i got really $$$ i cant imagine now that its $2.79. Great Truck if its under warrenty when your problems happen, but you will pay out the butt in gas.

DD, that clear s up why My RT was so much quicker than others I ran into, I had an early 00 with the p-remium fuel caution.

As you say a great people moover, I towed a landscape trailer a few times and it was nothing like my wifes suburban The thing really moaned and pushed when hauling.

Couple things.

If the transfercase let go, it's because it was leaking and they didn't take care of it. For offroading the standard part time unit isn't very good but all the Gen 1 durangos use a system where the front driveshaft of the transfercase is always turning. (the hubs are always locked) Best case is the full time /full time with low range.

The 318 can hit 20mpg on a nice flat road, but usually is around 17 to 18mpg. If it gets below that it needs a tune up, new plugs, wires rotor and cap. If that doesn't fix it, the intake plenum gasket probably blew out and is letting air out of the intake tract. just changed the one on my 98 this past saturday. Gotta pull the intake manifold to do it.

The 318 can get as low as 7mpg when towing as you are supposed to have overdrive turned off.

The 360 manages around 15 to 17 regardless of what it is doing for the most part. Towing doesn't drop the economy as much as the 318 as the engine doesn't have to work as hard.

If you want a 4wd truck, a durango isn't a bad buy. The first gens are not too big and work pretty well. But if you want a performance truck, or car, stick to the Dakota, or a car.

Mike8675309 said:
The 360 manages around 15 to 17 regardless of what it is doing for the most part. Towing doesn't drop the economy as much as the 318 as the engine doesn't have to work as hard.

My Expedition with 5.4L is the same way, no matter if I am towing an SC fully loaded or just cruising around it gets the same MPG. I average right around 13.8MPG city/highway driving usually. Depending on speed in the city I can see 20MPG and usually right around 16MPG on the freeway unless of course there is another SUV behind me cause them I see the MPG indicator increase by a few points usually.

Shane

my 2006 dakota 4.7 v8 gets 22 highway and 16 town and has 270 hp not bad for a small v 8 glad we went for the 270 hp instead of the 230 hp though,

yeah manny that 4.7 is a tottally different animal than the 5.9 liter.
the 4.7 is a very nice motor and effiecent for a truck, It's like the ford 4.6 though in the tourqe department, it really is a slug down low.

I have been always on the lookout for that rare Durango twinn turbo RT monster I know only very few were made maybe it was a shelby version... anyone

How could the government let a manufacturer sell a truck now-a-days that gets such horrendous gas mileage? Muscle Cars from the 60's can get better mileage than a Durango. The Dakota's suck too on gas. They are nice looking trucks, but I'll never own one.

Back