Leaking Transmission Line '94 SC - Repair?

tedallen

One of the transmission lines on my '94 SC is leaking either in the short rubber section inserted towards the end of the metal line prior to it connecting the cooler in the radiator.

I am uncertain whether the leak is actually in the rubber portion of the hose or the crimp type connector that attaches it to the metal line at both ends.

Auto part stores don't have replacements. I haven't checked with Ford to see if they can obtain OEM parts, nor do I have any idea how much they would cost if they were available, although I suspect quite expensive.

I was wondering if anyone had ever attempted to repair a similar leak by cutting the metal line at both ends, removing the rubber section and replacing it with rubber transmission hose and screw-style clamps. Are there issues with pressure in the transmission that might cause problems with this type of repair?

The metal lines would have no "nipple" for the hose to fit over. As such, other than the clamps there wouldn't be anything to help ensure the metal lines stayed securely in the inserted rubber hose. As best I can tell the outside diameter of the metal line is 9/32". I believe standard rubber transmission line has an inside diameter of 11/32". Can anyone confirm this as well? Thanks for any and all assistance.

My 94 did the same thing. I cut off the crimp connectors (PITA) rather than cut the metal line itself. You'll loose the flare if you cut the metal line. I took the opportunity to install a transmission cooler when I fixed it. I used screw-style clamps and standard transmission hose and two years later I still don't have a leak.

Thanks for the reply dms825. What did you use to cut off just the crimp connectors? Tin snips? Did you have to remove the lines completely to do it or did you do it with the lines still attached to the tranny? I guess you removed the portion of the lines going into the radiator and used lines supplied with the transmission cooler. Do you happen to know if you used the typical 11/32" rubber transmission line or a smaller diameter line?

If you don't mind me asking what cooler did you use and where did you mount it? Thanks for the assistance!

I used a dremel to cut the line.
I bought transmission line at autozone i forgot the size

I wish I'd had a dremel. Mine burned up, so I just put a grinding stone on a hand drill and ground off a corner of the crimp connector - enough to allow me to pull it off the line. I did it with the lines on the car. The only parts I removed were the old rubber lines with their connectors after I'd ground them off. I kept the radiator plumbed inline with the new cooler and mounted it under the front bumper. I used a B&M cooler from Summit. Part number BMM-70264. I don't know what size the new rubber transmission lines were which came with the cooler, but the inside diameter seemed a little larger than the outside diameter of the metal lines. However, since I didn't cut the flare off the metal lines, a screw type connector works well enough to keep it from leaking.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't have a dremel either, so I guess I'll be going the hand drill route as well.

If I were to attempt to remove the majority of the rubber line from between the crimp-style connectors before trying to remove the connectors, how close could I cut to the connector without risking hitting the end of the line where the flare is located? Does the flare extend very far past where the rubber line goes into the crimp connector?

Would I be better off leaving the rubber line in place to help stabilize the line while trying to get the crimp connectors mangled to the point I can remove them?

I don't believe the flare extends beyond the crimp connector very much at all. Just use a utility knife on the rubber hose if you want to cut it. I doubt you'd do any damage to the metal line. However, it would probably be better to keep the rubber hose intact while you remove the connectors. There's not really anything to hold the ends of the metal line if you cut the hose first.

Still learnin shhit!

Hey guys I've been reading ur stuff since I just found a '91 SC in a barn! I'm serious, in an f-in barn and bought it from a little 4'6" old ( 71 ) lady! It's got 81k on it cause it was driven every summer until 1999, then just driven in the barn. But it is Tits! Perfect almost new condition except for the two pansy-~~~ black bumper things on the two front fenders are yellow and a little "eaten" Anyway I'm an old motorhead and have had several Turbo coupes but never an SC. What a diff! But u guys are really in to it and know more than I do in my dreams. Really! I changed all fluids before driving but my VMM still says change oil. Scared me tought I was leaking while driving. But this guys answer from the manual was awsome!! Now how do I get those two bumpers off and where do I find new ones? I'm 60 yrs old myself an gettin sleepy so goo.dd.......z.........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzbyzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Back