exhaust pointers?

eggtheplanet@ya

keeping in mind that i have limited tools and unlimited resolve, are there any home remedies for opening up the exhaust? as i understand it, thats one of the most restrictive pieces on our cars. is there a way using minor welding or some other sort of way to reduce back pressure in preperation of intake mods? any advice other than "buy a new exhaust system" will be appreciated and probably tried.

-matt

Do a search and you'll have unlimited supply.

No there isn't a way with minor welding. The restrictors are the downtubes and the stock resonator. What you need to do is get some downpipes from Wynn at texasthunderbirds.com then make a complete exhaust system or you can have him make you one.

Other than that you can buy one.

Diy

as stated do a search, I removed the system & cut just behind the cats & break out the insides then put collars on then gently drove up to the muffler shop so they could weld the cuts.
had them install a magnaflow in place of the sesonator & replace the mufflers
with pipe. now if you have a welder then you can do all this. if you wanted just remove the muffs & gut your cats , leave the stock resonator & see how it sounds.

Last edited:
If anything, I would take out the resonator, its by far the most restrictive peice of your stock exhaust, unless your cats are plugged of course.

I have removed cats, stock resonator, and no mufflers and it sounds bad ~~~ for a V6 not ricey or raspy at all. I am going to put a flowmaster resonator on it and have new tail pipes made but no mufflers.

anyone doing cutouts?

my bros sallen will be getting the, should sound insane. wondering if itd be worht it on a V6?

Just for reference.... here is a picture of the stock resonator to show how restrictive the nasty little thing is. :eek:

Attachments

• restriction1.jpg
    restriction1.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 96
thanks a lot guys

i cant tell you how nice it is to have a question and a ton of knowledgeable people come to your aid. i think ill try to get a complete stock exhaust system to toy around with.

Scott Long said:
I have removed cats, stock resonator, and no mufflers and it sounds bad ~~~ for a V6 not ricey or raspy at all. I am going to put a flowmaster resonator on it and have new tail pipes made but no mufflers.
im not sure if i did it right, cause ive only sent a couple, but i sent you a pm.

www.texasthunderbirds.com has dragpipes that replace the stock down pipes and are long enough for you to delete the resonator, or add a new two in, 1 out resonator that is more appropriately sized.

Otherwise you can cobble together some replacement down pipes.

Stock resonator is #1 issue.
Driver side 90 degree turn for the exhaust into the cat is the #2 issue.

It's called an avatar, and after you've been on the board for a enough length of time, the system will let you add one in the User control panel.

Mike8675309 said:
It's called an avatar, and after you've been on the board for a enough length of time, the system will let you add one in the User control panel.

No, pay $15 to become a 'full' member, wait 2 weeks, and voila, you can add an avatar :)

eggtheplanet@ya said:
come on guys.. which is it? i want a picture of my sexay machine on here!

Signatures and avatars are a members only "perk". Well, other than a few NON members that for some unknown reason, never lost their avatar when the change was made. :rolleyes:

Back