Seat Belt Drive

CougarXR/7

Has anyone had their seat belt drive belt come out of the lower guide? Mine is out for some reason. ( I have not pulled the back seat and quarter panel cover yet) I'm just curious if it can just be fed back into the track guide, check the limiter switches and be fine? The buckle is still in the upper belt and the motor turns fine. I'm hoping that the belt can be reinstalled in the guide and work safely.

Seat belt drive

I have never tried to repair one i usually just get a replacement from a salvage yard. If you need one I have both sides available just PM me and we will work something out.:)

Both of mine were out when I got the car. Its not too hard to put them back, I just had to take a few of the track mount bolts out so I could feed the belt back into it. My drivers side lasted about 30 cycles before it came back out, and the passengers side still works. It appears that its just plain worn out.

The various guides clip together with plastic tabs/clips. If a tab breaks off a guide, the drive belt will keep coming out.
Depending on which side has broken off, you will have to replace either the lower guide or the small guide that is bolted to the motor.

I just put mine back in after reading this post and getting a little motivated to go out in the 100 degree humid heat......
Mine is the small guide thats on top of the motor coming out. I watched it come out and it flexes towards the rear of the car when trying to move the belt forward. I did an Arkansas fix, and used a piece from an old curtain hanger I had in the junk drawer, drilled two holes in the metal pillar, and made another hold down for the small piece of track. Now it doesnt flex and come out, and I did it over 20 cycles in the driveway and its working now. We will see how long this lasts:) :D

Mostly I have found that the holes in the trac itself become elongated and once it starts to skip it usally needs replacment. The worn trac is also the cause of noise when retracting.

Seat Belt

Thanks to all...........we're headed to the local U - Pull - It yard Saturday. I'll pull another drive out and look for the ride/fog light switches and I need a black driver's side floor mat. Both of my Sons own T - Birds (94' 4.6 LX- 95' 4.6 LX) so there will lots for us to look at.

not sure if its what you mean but my track was broken as Mark described so he pulled the fuse under the hood and i just slide the belt over me every time i get in the car works like a charm.
Phil

Seat Belt

Hi Phil.......with the "Cool" temeratures in our area ( Near 100 degrees )
I may just leave the buckle at the b pillar and slip the belt over me for now.

With the fuse pulled does that affect the belts locking if you have an accident?

Is it possible to replace the passive system and use the 94' - 95' style shoulder seat belt arrangement?

Last edited:
im prayin to god it locks:eek: It does though you should be fine. I was working on the car today probably sweat off 10lbs it so hot and humid. Here is to all the manly men who got rid of their AC condensers in the name of performance

Ron, im not sure the holes are there to do a swap from a 94 +. There is no problem with leaving the auto belts unhooked as they will still keep you safe in a crash but its kinda nice when then work correctly. Just sold off a set on ebay. If you get a set from the junk yard try to get em from a low miles car. good luck and congrats on new 90 anny.

Racecougar or Rod did the seatbelt conversion to his cougar. It was pretty involved if I remember correctly. I think TCCoA.com had the thread about it.

When the seat puck is in it's home position, it's locked there via leverage and even with the track disconnected, you can't pull forward, or down. It's also attached at that point and reinforced with a 1/8" steel bracket that is bolted with big heavy bolts to the uni-body. It's not going to give.

Other than seeming like a pain, it's supprisingly simply to pull the side panels off the car and get the track out of there. You need a 10mm and 8mm socket plus a philips screw driver. You have to pull the bottom seat cushion out. If you haven't done that before on a car, just pull up near the front edge where you can feel resistance. It's got a steel rod that slips through some hooks and it'll pop out. To put it back in, push the seat into position, then push down on the cusion while you pound it back. Ya figure it out.

Some of the internal parts can be swapped from left to right.

Agreed, its really simple. Ive done it twice, the first time I removed the seat bottom, the second worked just as well when I left it in place. Just dont forget to unplug the vanity light before you yank the panel :D

Seat Belts

I agree it's nice when they work, however I honestly thinks it's kind of annoying with the back and forth deal. I'll unplug the motor for now and look for a new low mile car to pull a new track from. May as well get both tracks and replace them.

Some folks have supposedly dumped the entire thing and went with the Canadian setup, as those type of seat belts you guys have are not legal up here.

Just a thought.

Frit

Back