Clutch lines....

ss_scuba

Hey guys,

I've been working with a local machinist to make some adapters in order to use stainless braid lines for our clutches. When I took my car apart, the quick release was corroded together so I cut the plastic line.

The design I've come up with and will be testing as soon as I get my car running includes a hydraulic quick release inline to make removal easier.

The "kit" so far:
IMG_3780.jpg

How the master cylinder sits between the shock tower and the fire wall:
IMG_3781.jpg

The adapter and small piece of line for the slave cylinder:
IMG_3791.jpg

And I'm going to get rid of the factory bleeder, while moving it away from the slave cylinder to outside the transmission. This is what I'm working on right now...
IMG_3782.jpg

I'm still talking with the machinist here, but as soon as I am sure this will work then I will offer the kit to those who want it. Be advised though....this will mean pulling the transmission in order to use it and I'd advise of changing the master and slave cylinders while doing so. More info to follow, and if I get this to the selling stage, then I'll start a new thread for just that. I have no idea on prices yet.

I'm not sure if / when I might need something like this, but I wanted to comment that it looks like it should work well. Good job.

Just in case anyone wanted to see them...these are the fittings for the master and slave cylinder. The master cylinder one is actually shorter due to the lack of room between it and the shock tower.
IMG_3786.jpg

As a hind sight, we didn't put any flat spots or a hex for a wrench to hold the fittings so I had to use a pair of vice grips instead. Since the fittings are made of 4140 Chromoly steel, I don't think that will be a problem at all....

Last edited:
how are you going to deal with bleeding things. The stock fittings allow for bench bleeding the master cylinder and then it gets hooked up and keeps air from showing up in it.

For the bleeder...I'm currently taking the existing one and cutting a male 1/8" NPT thread on it and drilling it out completely. This will allow me to take it outside the transmission casing using the parts in the following pic. Using a bleeder designed for custom brakes, I should be able to bleed the clutch just as easy as my brakes.

IMG_3782.jpg

On the side of the transmission where the bleeder pops out, there is a boss of metal. I'm going to drill and tap a small hole there to support the bleeder with a rubber hose clap.

Note that something like this could have an application with the Ford Ranger and F150 truck crowd who also have a similar transmission with a hydraulic slave cylinder and the same kind of issues.

How are you doing...Fine we hope.

Good thinking this is a real good idea on your part. We are constantly getting request for these lines. I think you could do real well with it. I hope you get it finished. GOOD LUCK! I would be interested in a few.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Victor......

Mike,

I have talked with some of the ranger guys, and with their lines still available from Ford they're not too worried about. However....they like them cause it allows them to change engine/trans combos without loosing the hydraulic clutch.

Looks real good. Would it involve reusing the seal for the master cylinder? I had one go bad on me once. Also, a trick I found was that aquarium air hoses fit inside the bleeder valve snugly so you can manuever them to wherever you want the fluid to be bled out to.

No reusing seals. I can get them pretty easy.

As for the bleeding, I like having it outside the transmission so you could see what you're doing, and be able to use a vacuum bleeder on it then.

I will have to see how well the tranny holds up with the 2.3 Whipple on top...If it lasts and I dont have to go to an aod, I would like to get one.

Chris

Well, if you need a test car, I'm all set to do a 5 spd swap in on mine, but the only thing I don't have is a clutch line as I cannot source one anywhere including used. I'm about ready to just give up and sell everything off that I've bought :( .

Frit

Sorry for the wait, but a back injury at work has slowed me down quite a bit. I've got the lines and slave cylinder installed into the transmission and should have the transmission installed this weekend for testing.

How it looks inside the bellhousing:
IMG_3971.jpg

The fittings outside the transmission. Notice the easy access bleeder:
IMG_3975.jpg

Looking nice. Would we be able to get the main hydraulic line in a custom length? I'm looking at putting an M5R2 into a car other than a T-Bird and I think I'll need a longer line. I'm glad someone is working on a replacement for the stock line. Not only are they hard to find, but I have grown tired of the release mechanism on the stock setup.

Back