power steering replacement

nickleman60

i'm in the process of replacing a leaky power steering pump on a 89sc.the auto parts list 2 different ones,one with variable assist and one without.i don't know which one that i have so can someone give me an answer?the one with variable assist cost about $20 more than the other so i'd rather buy the cheaper one but i want the correct one.

I'm not sure which one you need but do you know where it's leaking from? I just fixed my leaky power steering and it ended up just being the high pressure hose needing replacement. Thought it was the pump too, glad I didn't go out and buy another one. Now it doesn't squeal or leak any more fluid.

Here are some pictures of one with a variable assist and the other one without; I want to say that you need the one with variable assist. I don't know if these pictures are 100% correct but this is what I pulled off Rock Auto. Good luck!

pswvar.jpg

Without variable assist

psnovar.jpg

as far as i know all sc's came standard with the variable assist.look down past the power steering fill tube and you should see the variable assist(evo) sticking out the side of the pump.the new pump will not come with one. you will have to reuse your old one. i used a 1 1/4 wrench ,lose fit but its not very tight.

Back