Need Help From 4r70w Gurus!!!

1991blacksc

On my 94 sc I just had the trans rebuilt and after I took it from the tranny shop it was upshifting way to early from 1st to 2nd and a little bit from 2nd to 3rd, but it only upshifts under really low throttle. Over half throttle and it seems to work fine. I have a B&M shift kit that was installed by the last owner. The tranny shop that rebuilt can't figure out what is wrong and I went to another shop and they were thinkin somethin in the valve body is screwed up. thanks for any help, Matt.

They are probably right, something in the valve body is causing the funny shifting. The B&M shift kit isnt the best choice, they have a funny pressure relief valve and remove one of the check balls from the valve body. The drilling of holes in the seperator plate changes the shifts, and that could be one reason why it shifts early.

Was it shifting okay before the rebuild ?? And when they rebuilt it, did they take the valve body apart and clean it all out ? It could be possible that they didnt put it back together exactly the way it was before .. like if they put the missing check ball back in, or in a different location than it was supposed to be removed from ?

- Dan

It usually shifts around 1300 RPM and drops to like 800-900 RPM. It shifted great before the rebuild, all of the sudden one day it would not go forward, I pulled out my reciept and these are all of the things I was charged for: flush kit, ATF, overhaul kit, filter, band, ACC piston? (cant really read the writing), rebuilt pump, EPC solenoid?, convertor, and labor. I would probabally have to ask him if he did take apart the valve body but I did tell him that it had a shift kit so I would think he would have been really carefull but I guess you never know.
Later, Matt

Manuel lever position sensor > its on the out side of the trans and tells the cpu what gear your in. These are known to go bad at any time but it sounds like you need to go over your valve body. Look over at www.tccoa.com and look under shift improver aka j mod. If you do replace your valve body go with a 99 up. Just make sure you read the entire article first.

Back