Tach going bezerk ***FIXED***

90coug

So I'm almost sure the Cam Sensor is the culprit but I wanted to run this by everyone before I started digging in.

While I was driving the other day the tach started going bezerk but nothing else happened, car ran fine no CEL of any sort. I thought to myself oh it's the cam sensor I've read many posts about this symptom; I was able to run my errands and get home just fine.

Couple days of driving goes by and still the tach acts up but car runs fine, well finally it started to perform like garbage and sounded like it had the timing retarded and the tach was all over the place.

The up shift light isn't emitting so I think all is ok with the crank sensor.

I dunno, what do you guys think?

Thanks

Last edited:
Could be the cam sensor but it's a guessing game, the dis and cam sensor are both directly responsible for the tach to work. I would check to see if the heat sink compound is dried out under the dis. Does it happen more when the car warms up? If so I would suggest re+re DIS and replace the heat sink compound under it--get it from a local radio shack.

Ah yes, I do have an extra DIS floating around I'll slap it on and see if it cures the problem, wouldn't that be super simple!

Thanks for the input

So the problem with the car running like crap was simply a spark plug wire falling off, that problem has been fixed. Car runs great again but I still have the tach acting up, I swapped out the DIS and cam sensor but the tach is still all weird. Is it possible the tach just went bad?

Last edited:
Just in case anyone wants to know or for a future search my tach ended up being a wire on the cam sensor that needed to be jiggled around and re-positioned. This of course works for now but I'm sure it will bring itself back and I’ll need to actually take a look at the wire and maybe reconnect it securely.

Thanks

Back