No belt slip dressing

Tony8470

I read a mustang article not long ago that had a guy using some special dressing on his sc'd stang between every other run on the dyno. I lost the damn article and I cant find anything similar. I was gonna try it out to see if there was any difference. Anyone know of something similar or hopefully what im talking about? It was from muscle mustang or some magazine similar.

Check at radio shack. Back in the days of cassette players and turntables, they would sell a "belt dressing" that was designed to clean off the drive belts and make them a tad stickier so they wouldn't slip.

I used some of that stuff once to get a big 12" hard drive spinning that was belt drive in some old mini computer.

Auto stores may also sell a belt dressing as it can be used to help quiet big serpentine belts.

Yeah, but this article. This guy had some "special stuff", may have even been used originally in another application.

that stuff is a waste of $$ imo. I tried it on my mustang and it would only cure the noise for a few minutes.

A bar of soap to the grooved side of the belt works just fine :)

Blown 91 Bird said:
that stuff is a waste of $$ imo. I tried it on my mustang and it would only cure the noise for a few minutes.

A bar of soap to the grooved side of the belt works just fine :)

I agree it only worked for a few minutes on my SC after that it would be like normal again

Hmm. I wasnt talking about belt squeal. Sorry I should have been more elaborate. I meant for the SC belts. I have something that feels like belt slip but I think it might be the car pulling timing because of my 10% OD. I just would like to eliminate that as a possible problem.

I bought a can of STP belt dressing (spray on) and tried it on my SC belt. It helped a little but made a pretty big mess. Back in the day, auto parts stores used to sell belt dressing in the form of a large crayon, that you rubbed against the belt while the motor was running. It looked sorta like tar and they probably quit making it for safety reasons. I doubt it would work on a multi rib serpentine belt anyway.

David

Correct Belt Size

I personally recommend getting a better fitting sized belt rather then applying a substance to a loose belt. Putting something on a belt is only going to get all over your engine compartment and if it gets inside anything electrical it may cause damage.

A couple points. The main use of belt dressing these days is for the smooth side of the belt. As the belt ages and becomes harder, it'll get slippery. When it run against a tensioner pulley or an idler pulley it can then sometime slip, creating a squeeling noise. The belt dressing will help alieviate that noise.

Certainly make sure you have the best belt you can get with the proper length that makes it able to get on, but isn't soo loose that you don't have to work at it a tad.

The latest thing I've heard folks doing to help with belt slip when they have the proper belt is getting the surface of the pulley more agressive. usually through sand blasting it. That removes the smooth surface from it with the theory it'll give it more grip. I'm not sure if I buy that myself, as I think if you have a slipping issue, expect to eat some belts pretty rapidly if you sand blast the pullies. But it may be worth trying at the track. I take my theory on this from industry, where I've yet to see a pulley that isn't smooth running any kind of V-belt. They just add more belts, more pullies. Or they go with a cogged belt.

The carpet spray adhesive works and it stays sticky for a while. You have to cleat it off after the adhesion goes away though.

VHT does pretty good too.

David Neibert said:
Back in the day, auto parts stores used to sell belt dressing in the form of a large crayon, that you rubbed against the belt while the motor was running

this is why i said to use a bar of soap..and it works great. Lightly pressed against the ribbed side of the belt while the motor is running for a few seconds instantly takes the sound away, and keeps it away for a while. How long it lasted i found was different on diffferent motors.

Tony8470 said:
I cant confirm, but I do think it was VHT. Thanks!

Almost certainly. Using Track Bite on aggressive pulley combos is not unheard of. Note that it WILL make a horrific sticky mess.

Back