4r70w?

Blue Thunder

Hey guys. I just bought an 88 TC and I want to replace the 2.3T, with an EFI Windsor. I'd like to back the Windsor with a 4r70w tranny. Since the 4r70w's are electronically controlled, unlike the AOD's that came in the 88 T-birds.
Would it be a simple as swapping in a newer harness and EEC to get the tranny to work? If not. What would I have to do? Any advice on how I can get that tranny to work, would be really appreciated. Thanks guys.

Vic

Sorry guys

While I didn't see this covered in the FAQ's, I did a search and found quite a few posts that stated the swap would be more trouble than it's worth. Looks like I'll just have to try and locate an SC AOD and hope it will hold up to the power. At the moment, I don't have the money to have 4r70w internals installed in an AOD (I'm sure that would still be pretty pricy). :(

Vic

4r70w is an asy but expensive swap I know a companyt that sells a really nice computer controller with everythin you need but the setup is likely going to cost you $1800. Which is expensive as it can be when you figure the cost of baumann's setup. From what I hear the baumann setup doesn't work so well so I guess it is a trial and error deal.
Alan

Thanks Alan

It looks like my best option, is going to be to use an AOD out of an SC. Are there any codes on SC AOD trannies, that you can use to make sure that it came out of an SC?

Vic

Yes there are codes if they still exist. One guarantee is look for SC on the top of the bellhousing. If it has SC it is definately a supercoupe transmission. Most of them do not have the SC and can still be supercoupe transmissions. If you really want to get it right a stock transmission is not the best option. At very best a stock aod is at least 14 years old(93). If it has low mileage the seals are likely rotten out of it and if it has high mileage it will be worn out. The only special part about the supercoupe transmission is the od servo.
Alan

Back