Cats are too hot ?

gorynytch

My '89 SC is running fine as far as I can tell, but the Cats are getting really hot on long drives. Extra fuel must be spilling into them causing the heat ( I'm guessing ) And if thats the case...why ? And wouldn't I be experiencing other problems like lack of power or fuel odors ? No check engine light, but it does idle just a bit high so i'm guessing it's running rich. What could be causing this ? Any help would be great, Thanks in advance. Mark

Well the right side Cat was just replaced a week ago and the left a few months before. The center consol of the car has been getting hotter over the past year, but only on long drives. The other day on my way home from VA, 3 hours in traffic, the coins in my ashtray were so hot i couldn't touch them. Hope this helps. Mark

Did you replace the heatshield above the driver side cat? I know that cats get well over 400 degrees normally because they start wildland fires out here in the desert.

What type of transmission do you have?

If the center console is heating up like that I would say your transmission is heating up. Next time see of the floor at your feet is getting very hot near the accelerator, that would be the spot that really heats up on the drivers side or on the pax side it would be on the floor near the firewall on towards the left side.

Unless your sitting there for 3 hours not moving, I don't see how that much heat can get up to the top of the tranny well like that from the cats.

Just my 0.002 cents worth anyway.

Frit

I didn't realize that this could be a trans problem. It's a 5-speed.
It's hard to tell where the heat is coming from, that whole area is hot.
Thanks for the help so far. If any one knows of any other threads about this problem, please send me a link. my searches so far have been slim.

Mark

i have the same prob with my 90 couger 5spd. lol. but the heater in the car doesnt work so i need the heat 2 defrost my front window wen its cold out. i waz gonna have that problem looked at, but its on a very long list of things that have 2 get fixed.

Still don't know where this heat could be coming from. If it's the Trans, is there a manual trans fluid. If so where is it and how do i check it ?

It sounds normal to me. You can try some heat shielding in the trans tunnel, or under your carpet. I dont think its a problem, as all my MN12's have gotten hot there.

How hot, cause this is certainly not normal. This is my second SC the first was an automatic with no such problems even after 150+ thousand miles. This SC my 5-speed that i love even more just started doing this, well getting this hot at least. It's always been warm. But now there are parts of the center console and ashtray that i can't even touch after a long drive.

mine hasnt hit the point where i cant touch things, but its not a good feeling 2 feel that hot air and dont have ac. i no i can feel it blowing thru the space where the e-brake is and it feels like the bottom of the center console also.

Does the tranny seem to be working ok?

For a 5 spd, there is 2 bolts on the drivers side, one higher than the other. The bottom one is used for draining but the top one is used for filling.

I was thinking if you had an automatic you could be heading for a problem cause I've seen them get red hot. But a manual I've never known to get that hot so someone will have to chime in on that one.

One thing to check that may cause heat build up like that and would be a sure indication of being rich is if your exhaust manifolds are glowing. Go for a drive that heats your car up good then pop your hood up and see if the exhaust manifolds are glowing.....

I still don't think its your cats cause they are underneath the car and with the air moving as your driving the heat wouldn't be allowed to get up there like that.

Frit

Back