Flank Drive Wrenches

68COUGAR

After 2 yrs of searching, I finally found FLANK DRIVE wrenches. Gott'em at Harbor Freight in Grand Rapids Michigan.

Flank Drive turns the nut/bolt on the FLATs of the nut/bolt, NOT on the points.

That means that on the open end wrench, the FLANK DRIVE pushes on 4 Flats, instead of 2 points.

On the Box end, the FLANK DRIVE, pushes on 6 Flats, instead of 6 points. Almost Impossible to round off a bolt with a Flank Drive.

Several years ago on this forum, there was an engineer who designed Flank Drive sockets. I think he said that Any Flank Drive will transmit 85% more TQ to the bolt/nut, than any socket. He also said that because of the increased TQ capacity of Flank Drive, the Flank Drive sockets are designed to 185% - 200% capacity of standard impact sockets.

Hey, Flank Drive Engineer, If you get this, PLEASE answer. You have more information that I can remember from what you said!!!

68COUGAR

Don't know what you are talking about. Google only came up with a bunch of Snap-On wrenches because Snap-On has trademarked the name "Flank drive" but it only refers to their standard wrenches and the fact that they put little rounds in the corners. Nothing new there.

Harbor Freight search doesn't bring up "flank" at all. :confused:

I'm going to order a set of those. Should be especially helpful for doing oil changes when someone has cranked a drain plug in extremely tight. Most times you end up rounding off the points to extract the plug. These should be a lifesaver.

Order online for $15.99 cheap price to pay for the piece of mind.

Metwrench?

Your description sounds like the Metwrench tools advertised on tv several years ago. I never saw them for sale at any retail store, only on tv. The principle seems sound to me and I considered buying some, but never did. I haven't seen anything about them for a long time. Maybe Harbour Freight is selling some old stock they found. John

MAC knucklesavers outperform snap on's flank drive

there i said it.
i just purchased a set of metric long wrenches sizes 10-19mm. paid 360 bucks:eek: but worth evry penny:cool:

You can pick-up craftsman wrenches like that at Sears. A few other companies make similar wrenches or sockets designed to grip the flats rather than the points. Just gotta shop around.

Made in China

Spider said:
are those just as good as Craftsman or are they more liek a Schucks brand ?
Never heard of Schucks tools.

Harbor Freight carries the Pittsburgh brand. They are made in China.

If they were made in america, they'd have to pay a worker $30/Hr. When made in China, they can pay a worker $1/Day. $1/Day is a good wage in China. For $1/Day, Chinese workers would be lined up for miles to get that job!!!!

68COUGAR

68COUGAR said:
For $1/Day, Chinese workers would be lined up for miles to get that job!!!! 68COUGAR

Wish I could find me one of those little guys. Heck I would pay him a months salary ($31) to put my car back together.

Funny this post came up. I just picked a set last week. For $15 if you get twelve broken wreches from one use, it beats the irritation of twelve rounded bolt and the problems with removing them after.

I'm moving my way towards trying to stick with american manufactured or assembled products. If I can afford it, I gotta do it. If more people are willing to spend the money to keep it local it's gotta help a little. (as I sit here with my chinese steel connecting rods)

Back