time for a new exhaust!

jackpriceisgod

well I was cruising last night, and thanks to the wonderful roads of jersey, they decided to tear up the road, and fail to put up an uneven pavement sign, so as I'm going down the highway, BAM, take a nice 4-5 inch drop from pavement to nothing, and it pretty much decimates my stock exhaust(my car is lowered 2 inches....never do that)

so time for a new exhaust. right now I have gutted cats and a y-pipe in place of the third cat. I wanna put cats back on to make it street legal, so im probably goingto go with the normal high flow cats, y-pipe, the slipt back into two and magnaflow's out the back.

my question is- do I need a true dual exhaust? my mods are engine bored over .30, awaiting the arrival of a ported 94 supercharger. could i get away with the stock exhaut manifolds as well, or should i go with the ported ones, or even headers?

also, i dunno if there are sounds clips on here, but if so, a link or posting would be nice. I'm not sure if Iwantto put two mufflers in the back, or put one right before the split, as I have seen people do. are there advantages/disadvantages to this? or is it mostly sound-related?

thanks!

"true dual" vs. 2-1-2

jackpriceisgod said:
I wanna put cats back on to make it street legal

my question is- do I need a true dual exhaust? my mods are engine bored over .30, awaiting the arrival of a ported 94 supercharger. could i get away with the stock exhaut manifolds as well, or should i go with the ported ones, or even headers?

also, i dunno if there are sounds clips on here, but if so, a link or posting would be nice. I'm not sure if I want to put two mufflers in the back, or put one right before the split
Cat. requirements are by state & sometimes county, Not Federal. Do you live in a state/county that requires cats? Do you have an annual/biannual smog inspection?

Nobody "NEEDS" a "true dual" exhaust. A 2-1-2 will give you more complete blending of the exhaust pulses. But the OEM single center is WAY to small. Most people who stay with a 2-1-2 exhaust, go with a 3" center. You can get a 3" pipe around the early model gas tank.

You could probably "get away with" stock exh. man., but considering your future mods, Ported manifolds are better & not as expensive as headers. Wynn (TBird88) usually has ported & coated manifolds on E-bay.

Have you been under your car? How could you even put a single muffler before the rear split? :confused: OR are you talking about a 2-1 Resonator in the stock resonator location?

68COUGAR

Last edited:
68COUGAR said:
Cat. requirements are by state & sometimes county, Not Federal. Do you live in a state/county that requires cats? Do you have an annual/biannual smog inspection?

yea i already am putting high flow cats inplace of my gutted, thats covered

68COUGAR said:
Have you been under your car? How could you even put a single muffler before the rear split? :confused: OR are you talking about a 2-1 Resonator in the stock resonator location?

68COUGAR

yea i meant the resonator sorry

I'm getting a stainless steel exhaust system made for my 90 right now. (stored in the winter, don't want it rusting on me)

Going 2 - 1 - 2 with Borla mufflers in the rear.

If you're going to go magnaflow for the mufflers and don't want it too loud or too irritating you might try 2.5" down tubes into dual high flow cats, then a magnaflow 2 into 1 muffler as a resonator, 3" pipe back to the rear, then
Y- out into your two Magnaflow mufflers. Should give a nice mellow tone that isn't terribly loud and shouldn't have much if any buzzing at highway speed.

Such a setup should be plenty for you up to 400rwhp.

true duals

I just installed true duals and ported stock manifolds. SC Performance is now selling a bolt up set that looks pretty good. I used Texas Thunderbirds' down pipe set with a X crossover and high flow cats and had a shop fab the duals to a set of Hooker mufflers. The torque curve has definately moved up and flatened. It pulls from 3000 to 5000 about the same as it used to pull from 2500 to 4000. The Hookers give a mellow cruise and are pretty quiet with an easy take-off. At about half throttle they are noticable and at full throttle they blap like a drifter. Over all, I'm pleased with the result.

Back