low oil pressure?????

Red Head

Bout two weeks ago my car started throwing engine codes daily......both codes were were 176 and 173...which i believe are bad o2 sensors......i havent replaced them yet but thats cause within the last 4 days or so the light hasnt come on at all.....my guess it was caused by the hot temps down here in san diego within the last weeks.....im goin to change them soon though....now to my question....

my oil pressure gauge has always been in the NORM range......but ALSO within the last two weeks each day it seems to get lower and lower......now it is half way between the N and the far left line........IS it a bad gauge? bad ground? oil pump?......any way to check??? ideas?

the sending unit goes bad on these alot its located just below where the top rad hose goes into the engine also check the wire that plugs onto it sometimes that will come loose
Rick

is this it????

how hard is it to replace?

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC01261.JPG
    DSC01261.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 138
that looks like it....go get a new one you'll see what it looks like. They are real inexpensive too.... as far as replacement its really easy you may need to use a u-joint on your socket but its about a 10 min job...

Oh you need a deep socket too

Just to note, the oil sensor is just an on/off switch and doesn't show pressure. I believe it turns "on" above 5psi.

There is a mod that you can do to actually make your oil pressure gauge work like a pressure gauge by replacing the sensor unit as well as soldering a jumper wire on the back of the gauge cluster.

Frit

On the O2 sensor codes, I would check for a vacuum leak or an air leak in the air intake before the TB, but after the MAF.

Just a quick question, not to hijack. I recently put a autometer oil pressure gauge in my car. Preety new stock rebuilt motor maybe 10k on it. Run only 5w30 mobil1 synthetic. Hot idle in drive (700 rpm) only makes like 13lb of pressure. 2500rpm when hot = 40 -45psi. when i startup in the morning it shows about 70psi till it warms up. Is this normal for the pressure to be so low at a hot idle? Also its been about 80F+ outside latley

i found the connection plays a role with that. Mine kept coming a little loose and it would read all different on the stock guage everytime i drove the car.

Put a mechanical oil guage in.. no worries looking at the stock guage reading low anymore. 45psi at idle, shoots right to 65-67psi under throttle.

trife86 said:
Is this normal for the pressure to be so low at a hot idle? Also its been about 80F+ outside latley

13psi or 45psi at idle? lol... if 13psi thats not normal, if 40-45 thats pretty normal id imagine. I have less then 15% leakdown in every cylinder and have 40+ at idle when hot.

its like 15 at hot idle, i didnt know it was much out of the normal, my friend only gets about 20 hot idle in his SC. Is this a week oil pump maybe? Car runs very strong

Back