PDA

View Full Version : Liquid To Air Intercooler Prototype Finished!!!!!!!!

wakinyantanka
07-16-2006, 08:27 PM
WELL AFTER A GREAT DEAL OF WORK THE INTERCOOLER IS DONE.:cool:
WE TAKE HER TO THE TRACK THIS SATURDAY, I'M GOING TO MAKE PASSES WITH JUST THE HEAT EXCHANGER, THEN WITH ICE IN THE CHILL BOX, THEN WITH A "SPECIAL" KIND OF ICE. THIS "SPECIAL" ICE CAN BE FROZEN TO -109 DEG. F AND IF ALL GOES AS PLANNED WE SHOULD SEE SIGNIFICANT REDUCTION IN BOOST AIR TEMPS WITH THIS STUFF.:eek:

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n237/wakinyantanka/th_Tbird005.jpg

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n237/wakinyantanka/th_Tbird002.jpg

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n237/wakinyantanka/th_Tbird001.jpg (heat exchanger is hard to see)

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n237/wakinyantanka/th_Tbird022.jpg

CMac89
07-16-2006, 09:11 PM
I would like the option of enlarging the picture when clicked on, but good work from what I can see.

This special ice may be called dry ice, no? Let us know what you find out.:)

wakinyantanka
07-16-2006, 09:19 PM
I would like the option of enlarging the picture when clicked on, but good work from what I can see.

This special ice may be called dry ice, no? Let us know what you find out.:)

Actually I freeze this stuff with dry ice. Dry ice presents the problem of subliminating straight to a gas and creates quite a fog,( not good at the track). I'm very excited as I have also installed Victor's cam and springs heavily ported the heads and have a 3 angle valve job. Hoping for some serious speed.:D

no164ford
07-16-2006, 11:38 PM
Nice work, Keep us posted.

XxSlowpokexX
07-17-2006, 02:04 AM
Dude let me know how it goes. You should install some Air temp gagues for before and after IC. Looks sweet..How musg were you looking at for a kit again?

CMac89
07-17-2006, 10:13 AM
I didn't notice it before, but is that a Moroso Cool Can? I've had that idea for sooo long.

XxSlowpokexX
07-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Looks like a super cool can!

wakinyantanka
07-25-2006, 08:57 AM
WELL AFTER A GREAT DEAL OF WORK THE INTERCOOLER IS DONE.:cool:
WE TAKE HER TO THE TRACK THIS SATURDAY, I'M GOING TO MAKE PASSES WITH JUST THE HEAT EXCHANGER, THEN WITH ICE IN THE CHILL BOX, THEN WITH A "SPECIAL" KIND OF ICE. THIS "SPECIAL" ICE CAN BE FROZEN TO -109 DEG. F AND IF ALL GOES AS PLANNED WE SHOULD SEE SIGNIFICANT REDUCTION IN BOOST AIR TEMPS WITH THIS STUFF.:eek:

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n237/wakinyantanka/th_Tbird005.jpg

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n237/wakinyantanka/th_Tbird002.jpg

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n237/wakinyantanka/th_Tbird001.jpg (heat exchanger is hard to see)

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n237/wakinyantanka/th_Tbird022.jpg

Got rained out last weekend,:mad: try again this weekend:confused:

BIGDOGCQ2
07-26-2006, 04:21 PM
Looks impressive, it will be good to see some results, any data on temps just driving around?

cko1986
08-10-2006, 08:17 PM
if it works good how much are we looking at?

David Neibert
09-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Any track times or dyno numbers with the new cam and liquid IC yet ?

David

tim
09-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Looks like a great idea.

blown96bird
09-05-2006, 11:20 PM
cool intercooler. I looks great.

The_Ghost
09-10-2006, 12:16 AM
So how much cooler is the air charge?
What kind of HP gain have you seen?
Reduction in temps overall?

What kind of cost are we talking for production?

Lastly, do you need a guinea pig for testing additional prototypes?

-Ghost

white95v6
09-17-2006, 02:21 PM
well it all looks good. except the way you did the water line. you have the water passing through the intercooler once. it need to flow through it twice. the core needs to be split into two kinda. needs to enter the top on the driver side and exit on the top passenger side. get what i am saying?

XxSlowpokexX
09-17-2006, 03:45 PM
Why would you want warm water to flow through the ic? Thats the #1 problem with my m90 allen liquid to air setup on my v8

white95v6
09-17-2006, 10:30 PM
Why would you want warm water to flow through the ic? Thats the #1 problem with my m90 allen liquid to air setup on my v8

well with it just flowing through the intercooler it goes through it too fast. its not there long enough to take the heat out of the air. soo you make it a Double pass system. look at any of the normall W/A set-up thats how its done.

you do know if you don't run a thermostat you can over heat becuase the water moves through the radiator and engine too fast. it does not absorb the heat to keep it cool.

CMac89
09-17-2006, 11:59 PM
I don't run a thermostat in my race motors and they don't even get past 180 degrees.

My blocks are filled too.

XxSlowpokexX
09-18-2006, 12:22 AM
You use a restrictor if anything..You never want to run hot water back through your IC..You slow the flow down..You dont ever repass it through.

Its the speed that effects thermal conductivity rates..I'd rather have cool water running once through at the right speed. My 2.2 AR with laminova IC cores uses restrictors to keep the water in there long enough to pull heat out of the airflow..Thats my reccomendation...

And people that usually run no thermostat put in a restrictor plate to slow down teh speed of water through thier radiator

white95v6
09-18-2006, 10:05 AM
right a restristor for a Race car. please tell me you are getting what i am saying?

trust me on this one. why would you want to argue with some thing that Top racers are using? not just me.

also the cold water sees the colder air. the warmer(by alittle bit) sees the hotter air. you just don't get that do you?

CMac89
09-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Saying it's a race car just completely justifies it I guess.

If anyone wants to take out their thermostat you have to call it a race car or else it will overheat.

Doesn't get hot in any condition.

white95v6
09-18-2006, 11:50 AM
oh my gosh. a street car can use a restritor. i never said anything about it haveing to be a Race car. :rolleyes:

what i was saying is there is a chance your engine will overheat without a thermostat(restrictor).

CMac89
09-18-2006, 12:00 PM
I was just being an A-hole, lol.

I've never seen a car or even heard of them overheating when taking the thermostat out.

XxSlowpokexX
09-18-2006, 12:47 PM
right a restristor for a Race car. please tell me you are getting what i am saying?

Race cars dont use thermostats...If anything they use restrictor plates..

moroso 63440..Look it up..Race cars do not use thermostats as they are the most UNRELIABLE WAY of keeping your car cool..Then again some dont even use coolant...All depends what you call a race car.

also the cold water sees the colder air. the warmer(by alittle bit) sees the hotter air. you just don't get that do you?

No I dont get why you would want to run warmer water when you can run cooler water with no ill effects only positives..Unless you are telling me warmer/hot water will remove more heat which I know is absolutely untrue. So explain to me why its better to run warm water instead of cooler water? Usually heat exchangers that run several passes are taking heat out of a liquid by means or airflow,not taking heat out of air and putting it into a liquid which recirculates. That way it makes 100% sence

And cars can easily overheat without a thermostat..I am completely jumping out of this one because it is making absolutely no sence...But then again I;m an engineer/scientist what do I know about thermodynamics

white95v6
09-18-2006, 01:31 PM
lol ok well i have seen one car over heat with out a thermostat. and heard of another one doing the same. but its not ususally gonna happen.

also yes i know all about the Restrictors Damon. i was not disagreeing with you.:rolleyes:

ok lets see. lets say the air enters the bottom of the intercooler and goes out the top. you want to run the Cold water into the top of the water tank. the tank has a diveder in it. the cold water flows through the top of the water core. then it reaches the other end tank and turns around to flow past the bottom part of the water tank.

this way the warmer Water cools off the HOT AIR. and then the Cold Water cools off the Warm AIR. that way you get the Coldest Air possible.

i guess Vortech,Ford,Precsion all have it wrong and you are right Damon??? oh and don't forget all those Pro-5.0,SSO,Drag radial cars all must be wrong too huh?

XxSlowpokexX
09-18-2006, 03:56 PM
i guess Vortech,Ford,Precsion all have it wrong and you are right Damon??? oh and don't forget all those Pro-5.0,SSO,Drag radial cars all must be wrong too huh?

Many ways to skin a cat. However lets say you make a double pass IC but instead of letting the water pass in a loop make it two seperate ic cores. Have two lines comming in with cold water..Leaving with warm water...

You still have the same amount of IC surface area to absorb heat yet you will have cooler water doing so instead of heating and reusing in the same pass. The size of many of the pro classes IC's are so huge and the IC has so much surface area PLUS they run ice water It probably wouldnt make a difference. But for a car that wont be running ice water I cant see it.

I have seen many do it both ways. To me it just makes theoretical sence to allow as much cooler water to absorb heat then to recirculate.

XxSlowpokexX
09-18-2006, 04:35 PM
http://www.bellintercoolers.com/pages/techFAQ.html#FAQ_5

Just some good reading.

white95v6
09-18-2006, 05:14 PM
k. that link is good for those learning about intercoolers. good read for a beginner.

XxSlowpokexX
09-18-2006, 07:49 PM
http://www.dccontrol.com/

And truly this is the only real way to regulate engine temps. I have it on my v8 turbo street car..I run an electric fan and waterpump...Worth looking into for those that do,,Will be used on my 4.6 SC bird this time around as well

David Neibert
09-19-2006, 09:00 AM
Damon,

Sorry, but I'll take the advice of a guy who is already running 9s with a v6 over whatever your saying.:rolleyes:

David

XxSlowpokexX
09-19-2006, 09:44 AM
Thats fine David,

However I dont recall giving you any advice on this matter to respond to me directly as though I did. :p Plus, based on your prior parts changing bonazas, I would have figured you to be open minded enough to try everything including the kitchen sink as an intercooler....But I guess I am wrong ;) ...See I can admit when I am wrong:D

Damon

PS. I also made much more power then you with a v8 turbo car (with alot less mind you)...And did you listen to me then..Nope..You went about it your own way...So inconsistant....:confused: ...Must be personal :D

seawalkersee
09-19-2006, 09:54 AM
Sooo...are we talking about not running a t-stat here or an intercooler? 'Cause I believe the original post was about an intercooler. And I CAN tell you the down sides of not running a t-stat AND give examples and detailed explinations of why it is not good (lest it be in a race engine).

Chris

CMac89
09-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Things people seem to skip on is that physics and thermodynamics don't change from street car to race car. All different temperatures require a certain tune.

The only difference would be economical standards such as running a street car at what the manufacturer finds to be most efficient for the engine in fuel economy.

It really isn't a big deal though.

CMac89
09-19-2006, 10:42 AM
I understand what whitev6 is talkin about though. The duration that fluid is in the heat exchanger has to be enough to allow the fluids to cool down significantly.

Just like a tranny cooler. 4 or 5 coils are used so they have a good duration and volume to cool.

David Neibert
09-19-2006, 11:20 AM
Thats fine David,

However I dont recall giving you any advice on this matter to respond to me directly as though I did. :p Plus, based on your prior parts changing bonazas, I would have figured you to be open minded enough to try everything including the kitchen sink as an intercooler....But I guess I am wrong ;) ...See I can admit when I am wrong:D

Damon

PS. I also made much more power then you with a v8 turbo car (with alot less mind you)...And did you listen to me then..Nope..You went about it your own way...So inconsistant....:confused: ...Must be personal :D

Damon,

Take it easy, I'm just jerking your chain. I knew that would get you goin :D I am open minded, and my thoughts on the liquid intercooler plumbing are similar to yours. Just saying that Matt may have something we should open our minds up to. It does sound a little screwy, but maybe it works.

David

XxSlowpokexX
09-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Guys,

I understand the two trains of thought. When dealing with a pressurized fluid such as transmission line or oil when air is cooling a liquid its different. We have an unlimited supply of air cooling those lines. So letting the same oil/water to flow through the same pathway is fine and if anything perfered.

But here the median is air getting cooled by water. Water flows through a core wile air blows against the fins of the core. Being we are not worried about obtaining or keeping a particular pressure with this flowing water and are more worried about volume the ideal way to flow the water is not to recirculate as say a dual pass. I'd perfer cool water running through from top to bottom the whole lenght of the core. Restricting the velocityof teh water running through teh system would allow both the water to pick up more heat as well as let go of more heat at the liquid to air exchanger. Keep in mind we cannot control the speed in which the air flows through the core except by causing a pressure drop across the core. Its actually not that cut and dry. However the big dogs all run ice water and honestly so long as they have enough surface area in there passenger seat area mounted IC's they do fine.

And Dave..Ill admit I was a tad cranky when I wrote that :O)

lilredstang
09-20-2006, 01:00 PM
I am running a similar IC with an 03 cobra heat exchanger and lightning coolant pump. During my dyno tunning monday, dave said my air intake temps were in the 150 area.:rolleyes: I have noticed that the coolant just hauls in this system. I was thinking of putting a .75" - .50" reducer in the end if the IC, to maybe slow the coolant down a bit and let it pull more heat from the aircharge before it exits the IC. If I had a good place to mount a Moroso cool can I'd be all over it:D I will be interested to see what the temps are with and without the special ice. Keep us posted!!

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...g/1405ef66.jpg

XxSlowpokexX
09-20-2006, 01:50 PM
I think the restrictor should be placed after the cobra heat exchanger to keep the fluid in there that much longer to cool it down. Of course there is a point of diminishing returns but I have no idea what that is. And putting a restrictor in will effect the system speed as a whole.

A beter way perhaps would be a voltage controller to the water pump itself. You can control flow that way as well.

XxSlowpokexX
09-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Red,

I also like the cool can idea and is something I will be trying to a larger extenet. I want to keep the fluid as a closed system where I dont have to dump ice into it and then reconfigure for street driving. My idea actually consisted of a cooler, a large heat exchanger and ice in the truck..SO many ideas so little time they say

83GT460
09-20-2006, 05:49 PM
I am running a similar IC with an 03 cobra heat exchanger and lightning coolant pump. During my dyno tunning monday, dave said my air intake temps were in the 150 area.:rolleyes: I have noticed that the coolant just hauls in this system. I was thinking of putting a .75" - .50" reducer in the end if the IC, to maybe slow the coolant down a bit and let it pull more heat from the aircharge before it exits the IC. If I had a good place to mount a Moroso cool can I'd be all over it:D I will be interested to see what the temps are with and without the special ice. Keep us posted!!

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...g/1405ef66.jpg

I think you guys are looking at this the wrong way, logic should tell you its't the time the water is in the intercooler that is the problem it is the time that the air is in the intercoolerthat is the issue. If the water is 40 degrees going in and is passing through fast enough that it is still cool coming out it won't do any good to slow the water down you just need a larger intercooler so the air has is exposed to more of the water cooled surface. Also for what it is worht I also have an intercooler that is very similar to this one so it appears that I may scrap it and buy a larger one before I even install it.

Charles

lilredstang
09-20-2006, 08:43 PM
I think you guys are looking at this the wrong way, logic should tell you its't the time the water is in the intercooler that is the problem it is the time that the air is in the intercoolerthat is the issue. If the water is 40 degrees going in and is passing through fast enough that it is still cool coming out it won't do any good to slow the water down you just need a larger intercooler so the air has is exposed to more of the water cooled surface. Also for what it is worht I also have an intercooler that is very similar to this one so it appears that I may scrap it and buy a larger one before I even install it.

Charles

Not to disagree, but I do. This pump has some damn good flow, BUT I think it is just flowing so fast that it can't pull much heat from the aircharge. It looks like the hose wakinyantanka is using is smaller than my .75" coolant hose and that MAY be just enough restriction in the flow to make this system more efficent. Thats kinda why interested in seeing how his setup does. I can't justify buying another IC till I tinker with this. I just need to find a good way to moniter the temps. LOL Its a work in progress guys.

83GT460
09-20-2006, 09:00 PM
Not to disagree, but I do. This pump has some damn good flow, BUT I think it is just flowing so fast that it can't pull much heat from the aircharge. It looks like the hose wakinyantanka is using is smaller than my .75" coolant hose and that MAY be just enough restriction in the flow to make this system more efficent. Thats kinda why interested in seeing how his setup does. I can't justify buying another IC till I tinker with this. I just need to find a good way to moniter the temps. LOL Its a work in progress guys.

Do you actually beieve that your water supply is outflowing the air through your IC. There is no way that slowing the water down in the IC will help because the air is going thru the IC much faster than the water, however it would be benificial to slow the water in the heat exchanger where you are removing heat from the water by use of air.

Charles

lilredstang
09-20-2006, 09:32 PM
I do think its flowing to fast. I have no clue what the coolant temps are, not to mention the before and after temps of the IC and heat exchanger. I'll throw you a bone though, cuz I agree that the longer the coolant stays in the heat exchanger...the better.

As soon as XR7DAVE gets my chip burned and sent to me I will try some of these ideas and see what happens.

XR7 Dave
09-20-2006, 09:41 PM
Chip is on it's way. :)

What I noticed on Scott's setup is that as soon as boost increased, temps increased - at a completely linear rate. On all the air-air systems I've ever seen there is always a delay and then at high rpm the curve begins to ramp up. With his air-water system there was no delay. As soon as there was boost there was heat.

On some good systems I'll actually see a drop initially when air begins to really flow through the system before temps start to rise.

The water in the system never got that hot, it was just that the air was getting hot. If I were to guess I'd say the IC core was not efficient enough but that would be only a guess.

lilredstang
09-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Chip is on it's way. :)

What I noticed on Scott's setup is that as soon as boost increased, temps increased - at a completely linear rate. On all the air-air systems I've ever seen there is always a delay and then at high rpm the curve begins to ramp up. With his air-water system there was no delay. As soon as there was boost there was heat.

On some good systems I'll actually see a drop initially when air begins to really flow through the system before temps start to rise.

The water in the system never got that hot, it was just that the air was getting hot. If I were to guess I'd say the IC core was not efficient enough but that would be only a guess.

Would say an air pocket in the top or the IC core cause this??:o I just got to thinking about it and the coolant lines all run down from the IC and the IC is on its side. So just maybe the top half of the core has one bigazz air bubble and its just stuck there because I never noticed that the coolant tank wasn't the only high point on the system.

seawalkersee
09-20-2006, 10:06 PM
As far as the speed goes, the water will cool as fast as it can. What you need to look at is the heat differences between the heat exchanger AND the intercooler core. If the temps are the same, there is no need to slow down the water. You see, unlike the engine block, the metal in that piece is fairly thin. You can freeze it with one of those aresol cans in a matter of seconds. Not the same with a CHUNK of cast.

I am going to have to think that Damon has a pretty good explination as far as the diminishing returns go. with the size of the tubing that goes from the exchanger to the IC, you are going to move enough water that it will in effect pick up all the heat it possibly can with the given amount of fluid to surface area. Think about it. Optimum would be a loooooooooooong hose that runs to an ice berg. Now, since that is stupid to even think about, we will do the next best thing. More than likely, the outlet temps of the heat exchanger are as cool as they can be. If you dont believe me, unplug it and see if it changes a whole lot with a single run. If the temps are +5*, I would be pretty surprised. If it more that that (significantly of course because I do not know the location of your core) than a reducer or LARGER line should be in order.

Chris

lilredstang
09-22-2006, 01:32 PM
Hmm... well first on my list is to get the air out of the IC:rolleyes: cuz I know its in there. I may even try to find a new location for it so I too can mount it vertical. That may even free some space for a decent size coolant tank. What the hell..its a rainy friday. I will call the boys, get some beer and see how creative we can get.

XxSlowpokexX
09-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Things to keep in mind from what I understand.

The amount of surface area of the IC core in combination with water temps is whats going to pull the heat out..Regardless of water speed. If you wanted more heat pulled out..Decrease water temps..Increase cores efficiency....Being we dont want to slow down the speed of the hot air

Amount of heat removed from the water is directly related to how fast the water runs through the Heat exchanger and the surface area of that exchanger being cooled (with other variables of course)

I think it all makes sence.

David Neibert
09-22-2006, 04:00 PM
This is what a properly sized core looks like.

http://members.tccoa.com/dneibert/IC&cond.jpg

This is what a properly sized heat exchanger looks like.

http://members.tccoa.com/dneibert/coolertop.jpg

This is what a properly sized coolant tank looks like (aprox 3 gallons).

http://members.tccoa.com/dneibert/wise93engine.jpg

David

XxSlowpokexX
09-22-2006, 05:08 PM
Thats Chris W's right? Of course...That core is good for that and then some....Heat exchangers the bigger the better !

lilredstang
09-22-2006, 05:29 PM
Dave N.

Thats nice and all but you forgot a pic. You know...the one of your empty wallet!!!!:p :D Got you good!!! Just kidding. Seriously though, I didnt want to toss a ton of $$$ at this until I seen my fresh motor run for awhile. Your stuff looks just like what I was going to use. How they worki'n out for you? Likes or dislikes?

David Neibert
09-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Dave N.

Thats nice and all but you forgot a pic. You know...the one of your empty wallet!!!!:p :D Got you good!!! Just kidding. Seriously though, I didnt want to toss a ton of $$$ at this until I seen my fresh motor run for awhile. Your stuff look just like what I was going to use. How they worki'n out for you? Likes or dislikes?

It's not my car...I'm using a Magnum Powers FMIC. Like Damon said, it's Chris Wise's old setup. It worked great and air charge temps were only about 90 degrees no matter how hot it got outside. Chris didn't usually add ice to the tank because it would melt a whole bag in one pass and it was a pain to keep draining the extra water off.

And yes it was expensive...I think Chris paid $1200 for the IC core back in 2002. Most of the other stuff we made or he found on ebay fairly cheap. The car is now owned by Bob Simms and he lives in the St. Louis area.

David

seawalkersee
09-23-2006, 12:55 AM
I think you are missing one thing Damon, heat soak. My point is this; Anyone who owned a 96 Taurus knows of the brown coolant recall. What happened was, after the block got to operating temps (by way of the coolant sensor) the water temp would be uniform. Now the problem came when the water was bypassing the t-stat. I knew what was happening as soon as I saw the first one. In fact, I suggested a restrictor to the shop forman at the time. The recall came with an additional hose/bypass for the waterpump and a restrictor for the t-stat bypass.

When a chunk of metal heats up and water simply passes over it without properly soaking it to releave it of the heat, the metal will in effect cause boiling to occur. When this happens, the bubbles actually explode off of the metal causing it to break down. Then the metal since it is breaking up and sitting elsewhere, rusts. Dont believe me? Ask an engineer.....Damon, would you like to feild that one?

Now with an intercooler and exchanger core, depending on what you have, if the tubes and fins or bars and plates have no mass, it will take no time to cool it off. And as far as pressure goes; put your finger over the hose and build pressure. It WILL slow the water behind your finger but what is going to happen on the other side? Now...use a straw with the same pressure as you have behind a garden hose. It will flow more, but slower (water speed).

Chris

XxSlowpokexX
09-23-2006, 03:31 AM
Oh I understand about heat soak...Thate the reason why you need a good exchanger and enough coolant supply. As a matter of fact what happens with my allen kit is that it heat soaks and teh IC does absolutely nothing. So now I have a MUCH BETTER Heat exchanger with fans, a larger resevoir and am only now needing to upgrade the core itself....Chris W had a great spearco core (its actually two cores welded together as you can see in the pictures) as they dont make a single core that large. I think that is the confusion with the single /dual pass core setup...Sometimes you just have to use two cores or even three instead of one.

Now I think back to the original post...How is that IC doing?

lilredstang
09-25-2006, 01:34 PM
UPDATE: The IC was about 2/3 air. I put the IC in the drillpress and made a small hole on the end of one of the coolant endtanks at the top. I found an allen head plug and taped the hole to the correct thread size. Now all I do is turn the key on so the IC coolant pump is on and crack the bleed screw open till the coolant starts to ooze out and then tighten the screw back down.

Now I'm just waiting on the chip from Dave D. Hope it gets here soon!! I can't wait!!:D

cko1986
10-03-2006, 12:33 PM
anyone thought about trying to pump freon through or somthing that has a lower ambient temp than water and will not heat up as quick. YOU DONT HAVE TO USE WATER!!

mannysc
10-13-2006, 12:59 AM
the water or anti freeze that runs thru the water to air ic should be as cold as you can get it and water flowing thru ic does not need to stay there.

the idea is to pass the air thru the coldest metal you can this cools the airflow,

you don't need to dissipate heat into the water you need to cool the air

just like your ac does.

now the heat exchanger needs to hold the water back some to dissipate heat from it .

in everyday driving but at track you don't want to run thru the heat exchanger you want iced water flowing thru ic unit and the heat exchanger would only heat the water up. .

I know first hand from my inverted blower i ran iced antifreeze thru it liquid temp was 32 deg f and air temp was 104 i got lower intake temps of mid 60s
this using a heater core as a intercooler under blower,

and a 3 gallon tank in trunk filled with crushed ice . I have plans to resurrect the inverted blower this month and will show it off to the so Calif crew.

David Neibert
10-13-2006, 09:28 AM
you don't need to dissipate heat into the water you need to cool the air

Manny,

To cool any object, you must remove the heat. In an air to liquid IC, the heat from the air must be transfered into the coolant. From there the heat can be removed from the coolant to the atmosphere by using a heat exchanger, or it can be transfered to another liquid by imersing the core in ice water or numerous other ways. Think of it like this....there is no such thing as cold, there is only a lack of heat energy.

David

mannysc
10-13-2006, 10:36 AM
WRONG!!!! maybe ... the metal cools the heat the colder the metal the cooler the air.whats needed is more contact area. and super cold metal .

weird thing cold air heats up but goes back to a cool state . hot air cools but does not go back to a heated state without outside help or heat source.

heat requires a contributing factor to keep its heat.

cold requires lack of heat. also i noticed condensation of water droplets in my ic during idle times . not to sure of the ramifacations of this to engine health.

but i beleive the heat dies fast as it contacts the cold surface unlike our engines that need time to transfer heat to the coolant to lower the metal and water temps the air is not so dense and needs little if no time to do this .

mine ran by at full speed we are talking 160 lph it cooled air very well

SORRY 4 THE HIJACK THIS IS MY LAST COMMENT HERE

XxSlowpokexX
10-13-2006, 01:09 PM
All depends on what the equillibrium temperature is...Being we can barely slow teh airflow down (heatsource) yes the colder the water the better. In reality the IC is a heat exchanges just as the heat exchanger is...Not going to get technical but temperatures want to be at equillibrium...from cold to hot..hot to cold...In reality it doesnt matter which way you look at it...The final outcome is the same..Within the compressed airstream we are pulling heat out of the air into the water....At the other end we are pulling the heat out of the water and into the air. Very simple..Very basic...Of course there is an ideal flow rate that will effectively allow the heat to be pulled from the water and that is what we should be most concerned with as we can not controll the speed in which the compressed hot air passes over the heat exchanger. (in reality we can due to core size and pressure drop or lack thereoff) Most important though is that speed in which the water flows and temperature of that water..becausde regardless of anything else if that isnt right teh system as a whole will not be efficient...

SO what ever happened to this one??????

bowez
10-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Yall are splitting hairs all that must be down is to remove engery (BTUs) from the system (air to IC interface). (Though in actuauality the energy is not lost just transfered to the coolant/refigerant).

XxSlowpokexX
11-06-2006, 06:36 PM
Any news????????

Tickler
11-06-2006, 08:09 PM
I would like one of these kits. But I dont care how large the heat exchanger cores are, ill just make the water go through faster and faster.

19TbirdSC91
12-11-2006, 01:56 AM
did you ever get to the track with the new set up? or get it dyno'd?

XxSlowpokexX
12-11-2006, 07:11 PM
HEs selling car

19TbirdSC91
12-12-2006, 03:27 PM
this i know, cuz im trying to buy it from him right now...i was just curious.

TwoToneThunder
12-14-2006, 02:55 AM
shawns getting another car??

quick35th
12-20-2006, 01:35 AM
The intercooler system is going on my new 35th :eek: :D After its installed I still have some other parts that I need to buy for the car. I am shooting for 350rwhp and 12's with this car by summer time.

Shane

TwoToneThunder
12-20-2006, 02:36 AM
shane nobody gives a ~~~~ about yout 350 rwhp lol jk

it should be cool cant wait to still blow your doors off :rolleyes: