Liquid To Air Intercooler Prototype Finished!!!!!!!!

wakinyantanka

WELL AFTER A GREAT DEAL OF WORK THE INTERCOOLER IS DONE.:cool:
WE TAKE HER TO THE TRACK THIS SATURDAY, I'M GOING TO MAKE PASSES WITH JUST THE HEAT EXCHANGER, THEN WITH ICE IN THE CHILL BOX, THEN WITH A "SPECIAL" KIND OF ICE. THIS "SPECIAL" ICE CAN BE FROZEN TO -109 DEG. F AND IF ALL GOES AS PLANNED WE SHOULD SEE SIGNIFICANT REDUCTION IN BOOST AIR TEMPS WITH THIS STUFF.:eek:

th_Tbird005.jpg

th_Tbird002.jpg

th_Tbird001.jpg
(heat exchanger is hard to see)

th_Tbird022.jpg

Last edited:
I would like the option of enlarging the picture when clicked on, but good work from what I can see.

This special ice may be called dry ice, no? Let us know what you find out.:)

CMac89 said:
I would like the option of enlarging the picture when clicked on, but good work from what I can see.

This special ice may be called dry ice, no? Let us know what you find out.:)

Actually I freeze this stuff with dry ice. Dry ice presents the problem of subliminating straight to a gas and creates quite a fog,( not good at the track). I'm very excited as I have also installed Victor's cam and springs heavily ported the heads and have a 3 angle valve job. Hoping for some serious speed.:D

Dude let me know how it goes. You should install some Air temp gagues for before and after IC. Looks sweet..How musg were you looking at for a kit again?

I didn't notice it before, but is that a Moroso Cool Can? I've had that idea for sooo long.

wakinyantanka said:
WELL AFTER A GREAT DEAL OF WORK THE INTERCOOLER IS DONE.:cool:
WE TAKE HER TO THE TRACK THIS SATURDAY, I'M GOING TO MAKE PASSES WITH JUST THE HEAT EXCHANGER, THEN WITH ICE IN THE CHILL BOX, THEN WITH A "SPECIAL" KIND OF ICE. THIS "SPECIAL" ICE CAN BE FROZEN TO -109 DEG. F AND IF ALL GOES AS PLANNED WE SHOULD SEE SIGNIFICANT REDUCTION IN BOOST AIR TEMPS WITH THIS STUFF.:eek:

th_Tbird005.jpg

th_Tbird002.jpg

th_Tbird001.jpg
(heat exchanger is hard to see)

th_Tbird022.jpg

Got rained out last weekend,:mad: try again this weekend:confused:

So how much cooler is the air charge?
What kind of HP gain have you seen?
Reduction in temps overall?

What kind of cost are we talking for production?

Lastly, do you need a guinea pig for testing additional prototypes?

-Ghost

well it all looks good. except the way you did the water line. you have the water passing through the intercooler once. it need to flow through it twice. the core needs to be split into two kinda. needs to enter the top on the driver side and exit on the top passenger side. get what i am saying?

Why would you want warm water to flow through the ic? Thats the #1 problem with my m90 allen liquid to air setup on my v8

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
Why would you want warm water to flow through the ic? Thats the #1 problem with my m90 allen liquid to air setup on my v8

well with it just flowing through the intercooler it goes through it too fast. its not there long enough to take the heat out of the air. soo you make it a Double pass system. look at any of the normall W/A set-up thats how its done.

you do know if you don't run a thermostat you can over heat becuase the water moves through the radiator and engine too fast. it does not absorb the heat to keep it cool.

I don't run a thermostat in my race motors and they don't even get past 180 degrees.

My blocks are filled too.

You use a restrictor if anything..You never want to run hot water back through your IC..You slow the flow down..You dont ever repass it through.

Its the speed that effects thermal conductivity rates..I'd rather have cool water running once through at the right speed. My 2.2 AR with laminova IC cores uses restrictors to keep the water in there long enough to pull heat out of the airflow..Thats my reccomendation...

And people that usually run no thermostat put in a restrictor plate to slow down teh speed of water through thier radiator

right a restristor for a Race car. please tell me you are getting what i am saying?

trust me on this one. why would you want to argue with some thing that Top racers are using? not just me.

also the cold water sees the colder air. the warmer(by alittle bit) sees the hotter air. you just don't get that do you?

Back