MY AOD Ended it's life

rickbtbird

Today about 8:30am est after a long battle with high speed shifting and clunky downshifts my AOD stopped driving it's wheels on my 1990 SC. An autopsy was performed at the Firestone service center where it was pronounce dead (it died within feet of the service center). The autopsy reviled large chunks of metal and a few plastic parts with o rings within the fluid. There will be no calling hours.

A replacement transmission is currently being pursued and we are taking recommendations at this time.

in the immortal words of one of the greatest speakers of our time, joe dirt......DANG:( . i hate that for you man. im having transmission problems too.

pablon2 said:
Did you plan on driving it until the point of total failure?
No, I had planned on replacing it this year anyway but I was trying to prolong it until the end of the summer.

Options

Ok, here's my options right now.
  1. I could have the tranny rebuilt locally for 1900.00. That will take about a week and it comes with a 1 year warranty
  2. I could get an oem replacement and installed for $2600.00 with a 3 year warranty. That would be done by Friday (that's not a person).
  3. I could have a performance transmission shipped up to me for 1700.00 and change from either Performance Automotive and Transmission Center/ and pay Mr. Transmission $500.00 to install it. Warranty would be around a year on parts only.

Anybody have any comments?

Last edited:
Dirtyd0g said:
PM me for that money I can get you a much better unit.
Alan

Hey Dirtyd0g,

Sort of off topic but...
I was wondering if you build Torque converters JUST for Fords, or if you build em for ALL AUTO trannys?
Please let me know!

paul

Built Tranny Indeed

x182dan said:
you could get a built tranny for those prices
You are correct. Built is what I'm getting.

I decided to go to a chain shop, Mr. Transmission. The tech there has 15 years repair and build experience. I check out a few places as well. This guy rebuilding mine had a lot to say about how and what to install as performance upgrade a street car like ours. He appears to know quite a bit. I also asked him about the performance transmission that we so often see on places like the "Transmission Center" and "EatMyShift" .com. He went into quite some detail saying that those units are intended for drag race application only where you would run you can down a trace 10 times and rebuild it again. Well, that's not what I want. Also, he said buying one directly from Ford is going to cost about 30% more and I'll end up with a "STOCK SLUSH BUCKET". So after talking with him for about 1/2 hour I told him what I wanted. I’ll be getting a heavy duty rebuild using Kevlar and Transtec components, a performance shift kit and a performance torque converter upgrade, $2200.00. The stock AOD that Firestone was going to get me from Ford was $2600 and change. I should be able to pick it up on Wednesday.

seriously if your gonna spend over 2k grand just the the lentech AOD its probably the only aftermarket brand I would buy for a complete transmission

x182dan said:
seriously if your gonna spend over 2k grand just the the lentech AOD its probably the only aftermarket brand I would buy for a complete transmission

Thanks for the recommendation .. but too late, buid in progress.

Got it back today

Got my car back today. Rebuilt tranny with "Superior" Shift Kit from "Superior Shift Technology". Yup that's the brand name.

• Shop Supplies/disposal Fee - 48.63
  • Filter - 16.32
  • Master Set - 436.95
  • Intermidiate Roll Clutch - 22.35
  • Intermediate Roll clutch retainer - 4.68
  • Fluid - 77.12
  • Labor - 1092.20
  • Intermediate Roll clutch Spiral Lock Ring - 18.36
  • Boost Valve Oversized - 46.62
  • throlttle Valve Sleeve - 77.05
  • Shift Kit - 109.95
  • Torque Converter - 355.62
  • Shipping - 47.95
  • Left and Right Engine Mounts - 137.90
  • Mounts Labor - 258.00
  • Tax - 164.91
  • Total - 2914.58

test drive

I took it for a test drive and what a difference. Car really pulls nicely and the shifts are firm, nothing like the stock slush bucket I origionally had. Shifts from 1-2 chirp the tires even on the SZ-50's I got on the back. 2-3 is a real firm engagement. OD is much firmer as well. No more grampa shifts here anymore. Now when my girl bit*hes at me in the car I can snap her neck back into the seat and it's shut the h*ll up!:p :D ;)

It doesn't look like they installed a 2" OD band. I guess it could be part of the master set, but I doubt it. I'd still be a bit concerned with heavy driving in OD.

Glad you are happy with what you have.

Kurt K said:
It doesn't look like they installed a 2" OD band. I guess it could be part of the master set, but I doubt it. I'd still be a bit concerned with heavy driving in OD.

Glad you are happy with what you have.

I got a three year warranty so whatever happens will be covered! I talked to the rebuilder and the stated that the tranny was gutted and rebuilt with all new parts.

rickbtbird said:
I got a three year warranty so whatever happens will be covered! I talked to the rebuilder and the stated that the tranny was gutted and rebuilt with all new parts.
I'm not knocking you or your tranny, a 3 year warranty is awesome, but I am curious about the 2" OD band.

Back