Oil pressure sender leaking bad, how do I get it off?

The_Ghost

Edit: It has been determined that the oil leak is the pressure sender.
However, I cannot get the pressure sender off the car so that I can install the new one because it is currently angled in such a way that getting a socket onto it is completely impossible, because the power-steering/alternator bracket is in the way. How do I remove this?
I notice that it seems to sit on a little pipe that comes off the side of the block as well.
I need to fix this tonight so I can go to work tomorrow.

I have a 90 SC 5-speed.

It keeps leaving LARGE puddles of oil on the driveway when parked, but does not really leak when the car is being driven, only at stops or at rest. It just started it yesterday.

It seems to be leaking out somewhere half-way up the driver's side block that's hidden by the IC piping. It is also towards the front of the car, leaking somewhere behind that idler pulley's bracket. The drip ends up running down the side of the block and then drips off the thing that holds the oil filter, and then down onto the front of the crossbrace. I am quite concerned about the leak and want to get it taken care of as quickly as possible.

Thanks much,
Ghost

Last edited:
You may want to look at the oil pressure sending unit. The oil pressure sending unit is on a 90 deg. fitting just above the oil cooler. Mine was leaking through the sender itself. Pretty easy to change after you locate it. It is tight, but can be changed without removing anything, on the 90 anyways. It is the white thing in the picture with red wire. The wire just pulls off. Hope this helps.

http://members.cox.net/mechanicdbd/oil_sender.JPG

Later
dbd

That pretty much the area where the oil pressure sender is located...and they have been know to leak pretty bad.

David

Yes! That's EXACTLY where it is coming from (the picture)

Right around there, except there is a box of some kind right by there on the side of the block that I thought it might've been coming from but figured it was the pressure sender. excellent.

So, do I replace the sender, or pull it off and change the gasket? The pressure sender still seems to be reading fine...

-Ghost

One other place to check...

This is a little farther back on the driver's side of the block, but you may want to take a look at the seal where the dipstick tube enters the block. I chased a leak for a long time until I finally found it while changing plugs. There is supposed to be an O-Ring on the tube (I think), but I just used a little dab of high-temp RTV on the flange and that stopped the leak. This may not be the source of your leak, but it is worth checking while you're at it.

So, do I replace the sender, or pull it off and change the gasket? The pressure sender still seems to be reading fine...

Yes..replace the sender. You will need some teflon tape to seal the 1/8" npt threads.

David

Which part no. is it? Partsamerica.com has a boatload of em listed. Do I need a special one because Ive got a vmm?

PROBLEM.

How do I remove the oil pressure sender?
I went out and got a pressure sender socket for it BUT THE SOCKET WILL NOT FIT due to the damned bracket that keeps me from getting the socket on.

Never heard of a sender socket and wouldn't reccomend putting a wrench on the sender housing anyway. Behind the larger portion of the sender where the nipple threads in, there will be an area with flats or a hex that you can get an open end wrench onto to unscrew it, just look at the new sender to see what I'm talking about.

Righty tighty Lefty loosey

David

:( I gave up for the night.
I have decided I will go get a 1 1/16" crow's foot wrench tomorrow from harbor freight and give that a shot, as putting vice grips on the metal bit that's the base hasn't quite worked.

Part of the old sender housing broke off, but the metal bit is still there. oh well, it should allow me more clearance to get at the metal bit and hopefully unscrew the damn thing.

Second, does the little pipe thing it sits on unscrew from the block? There was oil all over everything inside the sender's coverhousing and all around it, so I figure that's what the problem was. I was wondering if it would be possible to rotate the tube thing the sender is connected to so that the sender is more accessible, and lastly, can that tube leak too?

As for the socket, check your local parts store, there is actually something called an oil pressure switch socket, it actually says that on the tag under specialty tools like pad spreaders, pullers etc. It is a 1 1/16" 1/2in drive socket with rounded corners to fit the sender, I tried it with the new sender and it fit like a glove, so 1 1/16 is exactly the width I need. I hope harbor freight has a crowsfoot that big.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully I'll have this resolved soon.
Oh, and I'll be buying a membership hopefully this weekend after payday, so + for that.

-Ghost

Last edited:
booo booo oooo hey Ghosty the pipe its on can be turned it can leak but ive never seen one leak I personally remove power steering pulley and bracket to get easy acsess . but I have all the tools layin around .

The_Ghost said:
How did you get a wrench on there?

Using an open end wrench, very carefully.

If you had a socket wrench with a swivel head you can take off the accessory bracket without takeing off the steering pulley.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Tickler said:
Using an open end wrench, very carefully.

If you had a socket wrench with a swivel head you can take off the accessory bracket without takeing off the steering pulley.

Just a thought.

Open ended wrench where? I noticed the two bolts coming off the frontal power steering bracket-- the bit that kept me from getting a socket on there is the rear section of the power steering/alternator/tensioner arm bracket/support. It looked like I could move the front section if I removed the front two bolts, but it seems that I wouldnt be able to move the bracket far enough forward to get it off of the studs and thus have easier access.

Back