elect. problem: always-hot backfeeding hot-on-run circuit-- need help asap

The_Ghost

Hi guys,

I've been trying to figure this out and I still have made no progress.

I have a 1990 thunderbird SC 5-speed with autodim mirror, jbl sound, autodim headlights, keyless entry keypad, driver/pass power adj seats, aluminum spare and and vmm.

Here is the problem.

All the normal courtesy light circuit stuff works, when the key is in the ignition and turned past off. However, if I replace the fuse for it, it works, BUT the red battery light goes on as do virtually all the accessories (fan, adj. suspension, etc) stuff that isn't supposed to go on.

I replaced both the ignition switch and the ignition key cylinder just this afternoon and that does not remedy the problem.

This afternoon, MY DOOR/IGNITION KEY BROKE OFF IN THE IGNITION CYLINDER.

After much mutilation of the cylinder, I managed to pull the other half off my key out of the ignition. I replaced it with a new one and with it came new keys, but the problem is that key is also my door key. This wouldn't be too big of a problem since I have keyless entry, BUT the damn keypad doesnt work unless I leave the fuse in, and when I do it sucks the battery DRY.

When left in, whatever that fuse is connected to is powering the suspension and the other run-mode accessories.

I think that something has been done to the car's wiring so that when the courtesy/hot-on-run fuse is in, basically, the car is in "RUN" mode without the key in it.

Where would I find a connection like that or where would it be?

What should I be looking for to hunt down something connected to the courtesy light switch? I am thinking the previous owner messed with the electrics when he was installing the CD player. The stock harness is all cut up, and I would like ideally to find a ford 6-pin connector to splice back in and get rid of that extra garbage so I can use the Ford cassette deck I have (cassette to ipod connector :) )

Any suggestions?
I need to get it working again so that I can use my keyless entry until I can make up a new door key.

Please help,
Thanks,
Ghost

Last edited:
Back