255/50/17

shawpdx1

I have a set of 255/45/17 on right now found a smokin deal on a set of 255/50/17 just curious if these will fit ok on a lowered 1.5 coupe

Tires

My youngest Son is running that size on his lowered 95' T - Bird LX, he seems to like the ride and stance of the car.

THATS AS CLOSE AS YOU CAN GET TO THE FACTORY TIRE HEIGHT, SO UNLESS YOU ARE RUNNING SOME CRAZY OFFSET/BACKSPACING, YOU SHOULD BE FINE WITH IT LOWERED. THATS WHAT I HAVE ON MY RIMS NOW, AND AM IN THE PROCESS OF LOWERING IT, SO IF IT DOESNT FIT, IM SCREWED!:eek:

They fit but depedant on your offset they may rub under extreme conditions. I have a stang offset and they only rub under extreme conditions

Tire Calculator

Tire Size Comparison

Specification--Sidewall--Radius--Diameter--Circumference--Revs/Mile--Difference
225/60-16------5.3in---13.3in----26.6in-------83.7in--------757-------0.0%
255/50-17------5.0in---13.5in----27.0in-------84.9in--------746-------1.5%

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

68COUGAR

Last edited:
acb92sc said:
THATS AS CLOSE AS YOU CAN GET TO THE FACTORY TIRE HEIGHT, SO UNLESS YOU ARE RUNNING SOME CRAZY OFFSET/BACKSPACING, YOU SHOULD BE FINE WITH IT LOWERED. THATS WHAT I HAVE ON MY RIMS NOW, AND AM IN THE PROCESS OF LOWERING IT, SO IF IT DOESNT FIT, IM SCREWED!:eek:

Actually 245/50/17 is closer, but there are less choices for tire models in that size compared to 255/50/17.

Duffy has this size on his lowered SC on 9" Cobra replica wheels, and encountered some rubbing. But he chose B.F. Goodrich G-Force KDWS tires, which tend to have a larger section width than many other tires.

cheers
Ed N.

I have 255-50-17's all around on 36mm offset rims with the car lowered 1.5". I had to use the stick on balance weights because inner rim weights would hit the spindle arm, roll the rear wheel well inner lip because of rubbing with four people and shock control in normal.

Mike

Edit: I forgot that I also added 1/4" spacers between the front rim and hub.

Last edited:
wow didnt realize 245/50/17 was such a hard tire to find and if they do have it its like 240.00 each .anyone know were a guy can get a set of 2 at a reasonable price ??

rubbing

I'm running Cobra R's 17x9 inch with 245/45/17's on the front. I had to put .25 inch spacers on the front to keep the rims off the spindle in hard turns but have no other rubbing problems.

Sam's club

If you've got a Sam's club close, they can order lot's of stuff that they don't stock. The rub is that they are only supposed to install +2. I had to take my rims over to get the 275/40's installed because they wouldn't put them on the car. I'm running BF Goodrich KDWS, which are all season, and they are ok, but as dry as it is here in Texas, I'm going to KDW's on the next round.

I am running the Cobra R type rims on my 95, it is lowered 1.5" all around. And my tires are 255/45/R17's with no rubbing issues at all. The stance is excellent and the ride is very good. Very highly recommended.

update

I tried my 275/40/17's on the front with the 1/4 inch spacers and have no clearance problems. Been driving around for a couple of weeks and pulled a couple of bat-turns, still no rubs. Carin.

Back