ac experts

tony42

i have 89 sc my ac is completely empty cause i changed my condenser and drier but there does not seem to be any service ports except by the condenser i took all hoses of to change o rings and thats the only port i saw i would be very happy if someone could help me with some info thanx

I not sure about the '89 model but generally the high pressure port (for checking the high side) is located between the air filter box & the radiator; whereas the low pressure port (where you charge the system) is located between the passenger shock mount and the throttle body. Offen you need to remove the plastic cover off the shock/actuator to get clear access to the port. Don't forget if you've been changing components you'll need to vacuum down the whole system and add sufficient oil for the new components too.

ac info

jim there are no other service port other then what i mentioned before there is one hose that connects to the drier and it is attached to the manifold and from manifold out to the condenser about 3 inches from where it connects to the condenser is a port that is the only port the other line which is smaller runs from condenser to the fire wall connects to evaporator there are no other ports thanx tony

Very strange

When you replaced the accumulator/dryer and the condensor, did you also replace the low pressure line (the line between the dryer and the condensor)? This line should have the low pressure fitting on it. If you reused the one that was on there, someone must have swapped it before you got the car. I guess you never had a working A/C because without this port, there is no way to charge the system...

I've seen some service ports that are directly on the accumulator/drier; maybe your year SC that (do you recall what the original unit looked like ?). I'm not certain, but you may be able to remove the low pressure switch off the accumulator (put a jumper across the connector, so the compressor runs while you charge) and use that schraeder valve to charge the system.

Back