AC compressor went out in wifes car a question???

442guy

AC Compressor went out in my wifes Windstar, can I just replace that or do I have to do the condensor drier?? as well. The clutch on the comprssor is bad acording to a Mechanic friend I trust the compressor is not to pricey(under 200)I think I can do the inst0kll with a friend that has the proper AC refill equipment. Am I missing something big?????

I don't know the full reasoning, but I would expect that any shop will tell you it needs a new dryer and the "filters" replaced/cleaned.

We just bought a 99 Grand Prix GT for the wife at a good price, the AC compressor was noisy, I figured $500 max. I got a ballpark estimate of $750 to $850 because of what I stated above.

That doesn't mean you can't replace just the compressor, but I assume the old dryer and filter are not up to snuff anymore and it would contaminate and wear out the new compressor faster.

I would say, how long do you plan to keep it? Is everything else good on the car, etc? Then decide if you want to spend the $$$ to do it right.

Need some clarification

Is the compressor bad? or is the compressor clutch bad? You can replace the clutch if that's all that's wrong with the unit (and it will be a ton cheaper). If you can't get to the clutch without removing the compressor, plug the lines to prevent moisture from entering the system. Have a shop (if you don't have access to a vacuum pump and guages) pull vacuum to boil off any moisture and then charge the system. If you haven't had the system open to the atmosphere for a prolonged period of time, you should be good to go...

You might want to make sure it's not the low pressure switch. Windstar's seem to eat them. I had to change it on my wife's Windstar.

UPDATE

It was the compressor, not the clutch or switch, We swapped her out and Ihad teh system flushed and refilled with some new coolant(es-12a)_we got online seems really good, the AC is ALOT colder than before, and my car no longer makes noise at idle, the new compressor is very quiet. thanks for the suggestions

another plug for AZ

Autozone rents a CD on a/c repair (no charge.) It's pretty comprehensive and simply done. Definately worth a look for anyone that owns a car with a/c.

Yes change the drier

After 27 years in the refrigeration business we would recommend you always replace the drier after opening the system.

Refrigerants and water don't mix. what happens is water and refrigeration oil will form an acid if they are both present. Acids are bad. Here is a link to one of the large refrigeration control mfgs http://www.sporlan.com/catchall.shtm. After you service a refrigeration / AC system you need to hook a vacuum pump to it and remove all air from the system. To do this properly you need to run it into a vacuum of better than 400 microns, (20"hg = 507,999 microns) and let it sit at that pressure so any water vapour in the system can be boiled out. Needless to say you need to install a new drier and button up the system tight before doing this. After you can maintain a system vacuum of 400 microns or better you should fill it with the correct charge of refrigerant. Your manual will tell you what the correct charge is.

This will give you the maximum life out of your system. Unfortunately it is difficult to keep an automotive system sealed tight so refrigerants leak out. Service guys are obligated by law to find the leak and repair it. (for sure in Canada, believe this is so in the US also.). If you find your A/C compressor is cycling you are getting low on refrigerant and you should take some corrective action.

Of course you could go old school. Take out the drier and pop it into the oven to dry it out (doesn't get rid of any acid that has been absorbed but does get rid of the moisture.) Purge with refrigerant and then charge the system till the drier/accumulator feels like a nice cold beer.

sdw

Back