3.8 to 3.8 SC engine swap!

eggtheplanet@ya

my trans is dead on my 1990 aod, so im getting a new car. as luck would have it, the first one ive come across was a 1987 cougar. just a regular 3.8, but it is in excellent condition. this guy is just like me, he absolutly doesnt care at all how a car looks cosmetics wise, as long as its mechanicly sound. hes taken very good care of the engine, and changed fluids constantly.it weighs about 3150 pounds! im thinking SC motor swap! im sure this will add a lot of the weight back, but i dont care. it will be like having my SC back! im excited about it:D . as i undertand it, only one or two people have done this with such an old cougar and the wiring is a nightmare. i dont do wires. anyone have a clue as to what i would be dishing out for someone to swap the motors for me? are their any problems that will come from it(too muuch power- twist the puny chassi/axle)? will the exhaust need to be swapped too? this will by far be the biggest thing ive ever done to a car, so im going to need all the help i can get! thanks a lot fellaz:D .

-matt markey

I was thinking about doing a swap to my 89 sc, but decided against it when I heard it would be way to much to do, I dont exactly know what you would need to do ,all I know is that I was told by numerous people that it wouldnt be worth it

i dont really NEED to swap the motors, i just need a very dependable car, which this is. im all about beat up rusty ugly cars with bitch'n engines, so id be doing the swap in six months or so. i wonder how much it will weigh after the swap(if its doable). anyone know the weight of the two moters?

eggtheplanet@ya said:
i dont really NEED to swap the motors, i just need a very dependable car, which this is. im all about beat up rusty ugly cars with bitch'n engines, so id be doing the swap in six months or so. i wonder how much it will weigh after the swap(if its doable). anyone know the weight of the two moters?

Dont look to an SC to be dependable and if your considering a swap you might as well buy a good running beat up sc. Then we can all wait to see how long before you get the modding bug.

i already have a beat up SC..

check out my thread on the second or third page in the non-tech, i have a good description of my car there. the deal is, there are like fifty little things i need to fix before it will-in my opinion- be trully mechanicly sound. i wanted to drive it as a cougar for a good long while untill i have the money, then get my SC running the way it shoud be. just thinking that when the time comes, the motor swap would be extremely unique and possibly quiker due to the weight difference. besides, i can give you guys the seats&whatnot:D

Back