clutch question

shawpdx1

My clutch seems to engage up top does this mean its going out , also seems to hard to get into reverse

I would say yes. When you replace the clutch, shim the slave cylinder to compensate for the machining of the flywheel.

Depending on mileage, I would also replace the slave while the tranny is out.

Stephen

Tikler I was just saying My clutch dosent engage until the petal is about 1/4 inch from the top also it has 106 thousand on it Im sure the guy I bought it from had never repaced the clutch . should I go with the centerforce or OEM ? price is pretty close about 100.00 differance sugestions? and yes I am going to replace the slave .not sure what your talking about in regards to shimming the slave though

shawpdx1 said:
not sure what your talking about in regards to shimming the slave though
What he is talking about is when you do a clutch job you should have your flywheel turned (cut). This removes metal from the flywheel giving you a true clean surface for your new clutch disk to grab. when you do that it changes your release and engagement points of you petal. What he means by shimming is to find out how much the flywheel is less than stock and cutting sheet metal to go behind your slave cylinder to make up for the metal that has been removed and keeping your petal from releasing all the way at the top. I have read some people have used flat washers instead of sheet metal. I would look around the site a bit to see what others have done and what you feel comfortable with doing. I used sheet metal myself and had great results. Just make sure you change everything if you are going to change the clutch. It is also a great time to change your motor mounts if they are still the stock ones

is the stage 2 centerforce clutch a good choice ? I mean Im not going to get any chatter or to stiff of a petal?

shawpdx1 said:
is the stage 2 centerforce clutch a good choice ? I mean Im not going to get any chatter or to stiff of a petal?
SPEC STAGE 2 IS THE WAY TO GO IMO...
THE CENTER FORCE ISNT AS DURABLE AND DOESNT GRAB AS WELL AT HIGHER RPM DROPS ( IF THATS WHAT YOURE GOING TO DO)
ALWAYS KEEP PERSONAL USE IN MIND.
IF ITS A DAILY DRIVER, WITH MINIMAL OR NO TRACK TIME, AN LKQ CLUTCH IS FINE- IT LASTED 100K, IT LAST ANOTHER 100. IF YOURE GOING TO BE ALITTLE MORE ABUSIVE, THAN LOOK INTO THE OTHER TWO.

Back