timing chain help

ShawnSC1

When I took my timing chain cover off and set it TDC. I noticed the timing marks where way off. Both cam and crank keyways where facing up, both @ 12:00 poistion. In the manual it says the cam is @ 6:00 and the crank should be @ 12:00 - ATDC. Now I would like to go with the manual but this car ran mint the way it was set. Has anybody ever heard of this.

ShawnSC1 said:
When I took my timing chain cover off and set it TDC. I noticed the timing marks where way off. Both cam and crank keyways where facing up, both @ 12:00 poistion. In the manual it says the cam is @ 6:00 and the crank should be @ 12:00 - ATDC. Now I would like to go with the manual but this car ran mint the way it was set. Has anybody ever heard of this.

Rotate the crank one more revolution and they should line up correctly...sounds like you have #1 on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke.

David

David Neibert said:
Rotate the crank one more revolution and they should line up correctly...sounds like you have #1 on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke.

David

Thanks that makes alot of sense.

Now when I goto set the cam syncronizer. I should have the cam @ 6:00 and the crank @ 12:00, and that should also be set in the TDC poistion.

ShawnSC1 said:
Thanks that makes alot of sense.

Now when I goto set the cam syncronizer. I should have the cam @ 6:00 and the crank @ 12:00, and that should also be set in the TDC poistion.

No...the crank needs to be at 26 degrees after top dead center of #1, when installing the cam syncro stalk. You must also use the allignment tool or find a picture of how the vane should be positioned relative to the sensor.

David

Back