Pulled 6 codes today

midgetchaser

well i was driving to work today and i got a face full of Check Engine Light so i checked for codes heres what i got:

engine off- 15, 87, 41
engine runing codes- 41, 72, 73, 74, 87, 25

Can anyone translate?

15: read only memory test failed, keep alive memory test failed
87: primary fuel pump circuit failed
41: oxygen sensor circuit indicates system lean, right side

25: knock sensor not sensed during dynamic response test
72: insufficient mass air flow change during dynamic response test
73: insufficient position output during dynamic response test
74: brake on/off switch failure

Did you remember to goose the throttle during car running test?

Last edited:
Probably so. I think I heard there was a brake test also, maybe that's why 74 showed up.

It sounds as if there may be a problem with your fuel pump or a connection. Do a fuel pressure test and see what the results are. If that checks out good, check connections and grounds wires.

i just did the running test again and gave it some petal this time it wanted to stall but i saved it....but the 73 and 72 went away the 74 is probally becasue my parking brake line was cut(thank u to the guy i bought the car from) If the fuel pump circut failed wouldnt the car not start?

It could just be a bad ground or a loose connection. Or it could be the eec taking a dump. :eek: What year is your car?

its a 90 35th, i think i have one cracked injector from when i did hgs im guessing thats the reason for the lean code unless its the fuel pump thats the one to blame. I want to put a bigger fuel pump in but i really dont want to do it myself casue i dont have a lift and i really dont want to drop the gas tank.

oh dalke tuned it about 6 months ago (a chip not dyno) and everything was fine untill i put the art carr tranny in.

Last edited:
If you've got another injector to put in, that would probably get rid of the lean code, if you have one leaking.

As for the other code, I'd still check grounds and connections.

what exactly should i check as far as the connections go. and where. when it comes to electricity im dumb. ill have to pick up a fuel pressure gague tomorrow.

ok fuel pump checks out good. also a mechanic i was talking to asked if i had a stalling problem and if i did thats why i got the code 87. but that leaves me back to the begining why is it stalling. does my chip need a retune just becasue i had the tranny put in. and could a possible one cracked injector make a car stall like that?

74 Code

Yes there is a brake pressure switch test you have to do as well. The check engine light will flash very quickly just before it start giving codes and that is when you have to press the brake pedal and rotate the steering wheel about 180 degrees and it will get rid of your 74 code.

Code 25, 72, and 73 are from not doing the "Goose test" during the testing phase. These should go away when you floor it briefly.

Hope it helps on the 74 Code as the others have been answered to.

Smitty

well that takes care of the codes but still leaves me wiht a stalling problem and no codes. i just cleaned the MAF and iac and checked the tps for voltage and still no fix.

but that leaves me back to the begining why is it stalling. does my chip need a retune just becasue i had the tranny put in. and could a possible one cracked injector make a car stall like that?[/QUOTE said:
............ttt

Back