Ahh need some advice D@m C@r

FFbigjim707

well i need to know if anyone has any ideas on where to start .up until about 6 months ago the car was fine now it seems that the car has a mind of its own .when i start the car up the idle will be fine sometimes but after about 5 to 10 minutes the idle will start jumping up and down and it will stumble real hard but it wont die. just keeps going up and down .so when i take it out for a drive it can be a pain .like when i come up to a light and stop i put it in park or neutril (sp) cause if not it stumbles like you wouldnt believe it and when i take off and give it gas lightly it stumbles real bad now if i was to put my foot into it theres no problems with taking off this problem seems to get worse when the car gets warmer .now the fun part its time to smog the car so i take it in for a pretest and they do what they got to do and they tell me it wouldnt pass due to the stumbling they also said it was misfiring above 50 mph and wanted 186$ to do a diagnostic to find out whats wrong which i cant afford right now .so i take the car to a friend shop and he hooks it up to a machine and says for some reason its not allowing him to pull any codes and he suggest maybe getting a new brain and then go from there so does anyone got any ideas what this may sound like thanks james

What year SC?

There are several things that could be happening so I suggest starting with the "no/low cost" fixes. But first, what year SC? Have you made any changes or done any repairs/maintenance just prior to the poor performance? Have you noticed any odd whistling or other engine noises? Does the Check Engine Light, or any other warning indicators, come on when the idle is unstable?

This problem could be caused by vacuum leaks, bad Idle Air Control module, bad Cam Sensor, Bad DIS, electrical harness shorts, bad plugs or wires, etc.

Depending on the model year, you should be able to pull stored codes with a paperclip...

yes the check engine light comes on sometimes and sometime it dont. as for doing anything to the engine before hand no i havent done anything to it i am going to try and get some codes off of it today Its a 95 sc auto there really wasnt any warning signs it just all of a sudden started doing it and slowly got worse but the weird thing is it doesnt do it all the time i would say 7 out of every 10 times driving it does this oh ya ty for the help

Sounds just like what happend to my 94 when the cam sensor went out. Would not show a code. Takes about 5 min to replace.

It can be tested if it throws codes but mine did not throw any. It`s actualy quite easy to change. Its right behind the top of the water pump. 2 srcrews and one plug. Cost me $31 frogs

well i pulled some codes

and this is what i got

and i think this one comes up as a stored code 158

so now im wondering what all this is going to mean
oh ya i forgot i noticed that the boost guage wasnt working so i traced it into the engine compartment and found that the boost tubing had some how snapped in half .could this have anything to do with theses problems im having thanks guys james

FFbigjim707 said:
oh ya i forgot i noticed that the boost guage wasnt working so i traced it into the engine compartment and found that the boost tubing had some how snapped in half .could this have anything to do with theses problems im having thanks guys james

That's a vac leak which may or may not be the entire problem, but I'm sure it isn't make things better.
As for the codes, I don't have my manual with me so, I don't know. I'm sure some else will chime in about them.
Mike

so it sounds like i should fix the broken boost tubing and try running codes again . am i right about that ? and this is what i found out about the codes

158 O,C Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor above maximum voltage / could this be because i unplugged this sensor about 2 weeks ago just for about a hour to see if it made a difference in the way it ran.which it did alittle .when i unplugged it when i would give the car gas from a dead stop it made the car stumble really hard for about three quick jerks and then it smoothed out and my idle wasnt jumping all over the place well not as bad as when it was plugged in

111 O,C,R System Pass

536 O,R,C Brake on/off switch circuit failure / which is because i didnt do the brake part of the test

FFbigjim707 said:
oh ya i forgot i noticed that the boost guage wasnt working so i traced it into the engine compartment and found that the boost tubing had some how snapped in half .

Where can i find the boost tubing with the little rubber connectors to replace the one that snapped in half .can i go to any parts store ?

Last edited:
Back