5-speed shifter linkage, where do I get it

89xr7man

Do I have to go through ford for new shifter linkage in my 89 xr7 5-speed transmission or does someone offer a more durable setup.

Summit has a Ripper Shifter that will work for $169

45058.jpg

Alternatively you can purchase a rebuild kit from Ford to tighten the shifter back up.

5-Speed Shifter

What does the factory shifter look like ??? and what are its biggest differences, or advantages, disadvanteges ???? just curious...
Thanks guys..

The factory shifter is just fine. All shifters have wear parts in them that just wear out through use.

That's what happens to most 5speed SC's. They wear out and get sloppy.

The benefit of the Ripper Shifter over stock is that the pivot for the shifter has been moved higher, creating a shorter stroke to switch gears.

This can mean faster shifts. A new Ripper replaces the existing Shifter and it's worn parts. Or you can get a rebuild kit from Ford to rebuild the shifter.

A further advantage of the Ripper shifter over the stock unit is the adjustable stops for the shift lever. Properly adjusted, they will prevent damage to the tranny's internal shifting mechanism that might result from "power-shifting".

Regards,
Bob P.

Here's a link to a 5-speed SC shifter rebuild article by one of them there smarty-pants Canadian boys :D :

www3.bc.sympatico.ca/gipsonj_sc/M5R2%20Rebuild.htm

cheers
Ed N.

Last edited:
Back