Plastic Door Liner - Do I NEED it ??

ThunderTurkey

Quick Question - I replaced the plastic gear buttons for the power window motor to work, and just remembered there WAS a thin plastic liner between the metal door and the door-panel. Anybody know WHY it was there, and do I REALLY need it put back on? :confused:
:eek: ~ I kinda trashed it peeling it off to get at the motor, so if it HAS to BE there, I'll go get a Hefty Steel-Sack and cut it to shape, glueing it on with silicone-sealant. Or, would something thicker be better, like a plastic carpet runner? Thanks for ANY info!;)

Its there to help keep dust and moisture out, so its your choice if you want the back of your door panel to look crappy and dust coming into the inside.

Frit

It's a good idea to have the plastic liner. It's there to prevent moisture from soaking into the interior door panel when it rains or when you wash the car. You don't have to reuse the plastic that came with the car if it is trashed, though. I used a piece of plastic dropcloth and cut it to the approx. shape and taped it to the door. Then just make some cuts for the door handles, wires, etc. It's a quick, easy, and cheap fix that will help keep the panel and the floorboard dry.

:D ~"Gotcha! I had about a POUND of dust inside the door, so as thin as that liner was, I guess after 13 years in the desert it really IS there for a purpose! The thicker material has GOT to be easier to work with, so I'm off to get the HEAVIEST GladBag I can find."
Thanks for the good advice!;) :)

Most liners tuck into the slot(s) at the bottom of the door. Don't forget to tuck it in, you want the water on the plastic diverted into the door, not into the interior. Check the door drain hole(s), also.

Hmm... perhaps I should put mine back in then? I had to take my door panel off earlier in the week for the window as well and didn't put it back in. Granted, mine isn't a daily driver - but don't wanna deal with a wet carpet part of the time.

-Melon

Haven't had it on my doors in years. Car is driven rain/snow/dry. Never noticed any moisture or water in the interior.

The liner is there to keep water from coming in contact with the inner panel and electronic switches. A lot of people do not realize that your car doors are designed to let water flow through them. That is why there are drain holes at the bottom. It is not necessary, but if you have it I would put it back in there. The metal frame inside the door will block most of the water anyways, but it wont take a lot of water to mess up the electronics in there.

Back