190 LPH Fuel Pumps @ $83.00

al35thsc

I will be talking to a gentleman that sells 190 LPH Walbro In tank Fuel Pumps (direct replacement) for $83.00. (He also sells the 255 LPH for 92 and the high pressure 255 LPH for 107 I think). Ron and myself were going to purchase the pumps and then thought of having a tech party before the August 24th Nor Cal Smackdown if the transactions are quick enough and we get them with time to put them in. If anyone wants in, please reply here and I will notify you guys of the details later today.

Al

Last edited:
Please do yourself a favor and order at least the 255 standard pump. Nearly all those who intend to order an upgraded pump will approach or get to a point where they will be in need of more than a 190LPH. Better to spend just a few bucks now for the bigger pump and avoid doing the job 2x as well as buying another pump. Just a little FYI for you guys/gals

i miself never intend to go faster than a 14.5 etc. to go faster would involve some reinforcement of the valve train and porting some stuff. its a good tip for the others tho. would 36 pounders be okay with the 190?

al

36lbers will work fine, however, you still are kicking yourself in the ass not to use the larger pump for a difference of 15 bucks. BTW, you should order your pumps from http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/

Pumps as you listed them are $82, $92 and $107 for the FI version and include all the parts needed (correct sock etc). For that difference of 10 bucks, get the 255 and be done with it. You should never base your fuel needs off of your proposed Et, but rather off your HP #s. Also remember that whatever you are making at the crank is less than you are making internally and as a result needs to be taken into account when selecting a fuel pump. Better to have some headroom than be on the edge.

hey thats where im gonna buy them...and i was giving out the prices off the top of my head so dont go thinking iw as trying to rip people off lol. woud the pump itself be overkill on the engine...or does that depend on the size of the injectors?

al

No biggie on the prices. Our fuel system uses a return setup so any unused fuel is sent back to the tank and recylced. The newer cars use a non return system and the fuel pump is controlled via the amount of voltage it sees (computer controlled) which determines how much fuel it pumps. You really cant say that the pump is overkill for the fact that the unused fuel is recylcled. There are those that argue that using a larger pump than needed will heat up the fuel. My outlook on this theory (its just a theory, no one has proven it) is that I would rather have the headroom and a bit more heat than risk running lean and possibly melting a piston (been there done that, thats a whole nother story though). The fact of the matter is that they believe the fuel is heated as it passes through the engine bay and dumped back in your tank (remember, at high pressure [about 40lbs and up] the fuel is travelling very quickly). In theory this causes you to make less HP overall (density vs volume issues). The truth of the matter is that most people let there tanks run below 1/4 which in turn means that there isnt enough fuel in the tank to keep the fuel pump submerged which in turn gets hot (the pump is cooled by the fuel) and the additional heat then heats up the fuel as it passes the pump which in turn has the same effect as their engine compartment theory. Bottom line here is its safer, more cost effective in the long run and simply easier to install the bigger pump.
BTW, while you are doing your installation, be sure to note the condition of the plug that attaches on top of the tank. Remove any corrosion you may find on the contacts and coat them in a corrosion resistant gel or other material (see radio shack for options). Poor contacts result in lower voltage and/or current to the fuel pump and that decreases your pumping capacity as well.

Last edited:
in lieu of kicking myself in the ass, and after all the advice i've heard i will be purchasing the 255 :D

al

not me al

do they sell a smaller unit than our stock ones? I want to go for economy and get into the 50 miles per gallon range. I have disconnected two plug wires, taken out all the seats except the driver seat, and put on some 70x125 tires. I runs kinda choppy right now but I think it will run better on real gasoline.

hey ron,

if u want fuel economy, get a honduh! seriously though, i will be ordering today, so if u read this before i can contact u or u can contact me gimme a call, or drop me an email.

al

Back