Mls Gasket Sealing

Randy N Connie

I need to install new head gaskets. I can get the heads milled smooth.
But not the block. What would be the odds that this gasket would
not seal on the block side?

And is it the 1998 Mustang MLS Fel-pro gasket that has coating on both sides?

Would the mustang coated gasket be better to use than the
4.2 MLS truck gasket, as far as sealing?

Thanks Randy

Last edited:
Randy,

I think the Permatorque MLS gaskets with the coat of sealer for Mustangs would work better and would probably seal on your block. Best to use some heads studs so you can tighten the heads down a bit more. I think you can get away with 95 ft. lbs (with APR lube) on 7/16" studs.

David

David N. Thanks for the get back. I don't think the block side would be moving around ,like the heads do.
So I was kinda hoping this style gasket would maybe hold up
for this season.

Thanks Randy

Note, no one is promising that they'll survive. The key is they are better at dealing with heads moving around when under pressure without blowing out the seals around the cooling passages.

Here is what I'm using that I expect to hold even after the install of a 2.0 twin screw blower running 20psi.

Felpro Permatorque MLS gasket for the 98 Mustang 3.8. Part Numbers: PN 9262PT and 9263PT

The Permatorque MLS gasket is supposed to require a smoother than stock deck on the block and heads, but not as smooth as those motors with a stock uncoated MLS gasket. Will it seal your deck even though you don't get it machined better than factory? That's a question that only giving it a shot will be able to answer for you.

There are a number of people running a decent amount of boost on MLS gaskets on blocks that were not machined. I think it is a wortwhile risk if pulling and dissasembling the motor isn't really an option.

I do not know what boost I am running, with the MPIII. I am
going to install my A/R after head gasket repair. I have no
idea how much boost I will have with it.

And I have a very very small coolent seap, no oil leaks.
I floored the car and it sounds like my header fell off.
I pushed the combustion ring out.

I have plans to try the 1998 stang gasket. The gaskets that I
have been useing have started to seap & blow out every time
I get on a dyno.This is my problem when I biach about not
being able to get my car tuned.It has nothing to do with
the tuners job performance.

Thanks Randy

Last edited:
I've got the prototype 3.8 MLS gaskets that were talked about a while back (only 2 sets were made). When I did my gaskets, I had the heads milled, but didn't have a chance to have the block done...so we just cleaned it up as best as possible. I've got around 15k on them now, and pushing 15 psi, and so far so good.

Note: Not saying it's the same in all cases, just giving an example...just to clear that up.

I just received my Permatorque MLS gaskets.
I Got the 1998 Stang 3.8 gaskets. The package
says that they are coated .

Right hand 9263 PT
Left hand 9262 PT

Now I just need to figuar out how to them installed.

Thanks all Randy

Back