oil leak?

sendo

whats up, got a oil leak between the trans and motor. how can i tell if it is the rear seal or the oil pan? it dosn't leak when i park on a inclan on the drive way backwards (front end down & rear end up) but it does the other way (front end up & rear end down) any body have a step by step to fix this?
thanks, Sendo

Last edited:
More than likely rear main seal. Have to pull engine or pull trans to acess it. To change the oil pan gasket (if you can call it a gasket) you have to either drop the subframe and support the engine from above, or easier to pull the engine.

When we pulled my friends engine in his 35th we put a new rear main in it and a new pan gasket. Bought the pan gasket and seal at Auto Zone. Get back to his garage and open up the pan gasket box, it has a small black tube of permatex. What a waste of money we had tons of those bigger tubes in the tool box.... live and learn.

I don't think anyone makes an actual gasket for the oil pan, you just make one from gasket maker, use hi-temp if you do it.

Check This First

sendo said:
whats up, got a oil leak between the trans and motor. how can i tell if it is the rear seal or the oil pan? it dosn't leak when i park on a inclan on the drive way backwards (front end down & rear end up) but it does the other way (front end up & rear end down) any body have a step by step to fix this?
thanks, Sendo
Before you go to the expence of pulling your motor for a rear main seal job, insure that your oil drain plug is on tight with a good clean gasket between the drain bolt and the drain hole. Sometimes some oil can get out of there and it looks like it's leaking out between the tranny and the motor.

Back