Rear Shocks

CougarXR/7

One of my rear shocks has a blown seal (oil on the lower shock body), is there a best choice for a 92' S.C.? Is everyone using standard shocks or is there a preffered brand or type? Is there a rear shock that works better with the electronic front suspension?

Last edited:
A lot of the decision depends on your individual requirements. Basically, you can't mix and match ARC and regular shocks. If you like ARC and want to keep it the only choices are stock Ford(made by Tokico), or Tokico Illumina ll shocks. The downside of Illuminas are expense and will be worn out again in probably less than 50,000 miles. The other choice is to abandon the ARC and go with a good set of conventional shocks. There are several choices that will depend on your individual desires and budget. You can do a search and find other users experience and make a decision. KYB is a decent choice, but if you want ultimate performance and ability to rebuild go with Koni's. They're pricey but probably the best you can buy and they're adjustable for your personal driving habits. BTW, Koni's cost about 20% more than Illumina ll's. Good luck, John

If you unplug the rear actuators and remove them you can use a standard shock. If you want cheap, go to a parts store and get a set of rear shocks from a tbird lx.

If you want better shocks, go with KYB's from tirerack.com or from supercoupeperformance.com

If you want the best, koni adjustables from the same suppliers.

If you want to retain the ectronic ride control front and rear you can get Tokico Illumina 2's. They are probably more expensive than the Koni's and Koni's are 9-way adjustable.

03 cobra convt. shock for the rear and 96/97 tbird sport shocks for the front. Best way to go if you want stiffness.

What year cobra shocks can I use? I have some tokicos for a 97 cobra that I never had a chance to put on. Will these work?

Thanks

Scott Long said:
Koni's are 9-way adjustable.

Unless they have changed since I purchased them, the Koni's are fully adjustable from their min to max setting, not just 9 click adjustments. I loved my Konis and if purchased another SC would look at a set of them agian anytime for the ARC versions.

CougarXR/7 said:
Well...........I'll be getting the Tokicos sometime soon then thanks to all.

I just replaced mine with the tokico kit ILK222 which is the shocks and the the springs which lowered my car about 1-1/4". The car looks GREAT!!! and the ride is awesome. Of course I've never driven an SC with new shocks so I can't make a comparison...

What people are complaining about with the tokico system I don't get. I switch to firm ride and I can fly around corners very easily and its very predictable, and when in auto, the car rides smooth as silk.

Frit

jhollie said:
What year cobra shocks can I use? I have some tokicos for a 97 cobra that I never had a chance to put on. Will these work?

Thanks

03 cobra convertible shocks, from what I have been told, are the only ones that will work properly with our Birds...

jhollie said:

Thanks

Nope, they have to be from a 99 - up Cobra, those are the cars that had IRS. Shocks from the solid axle cars will be way too soft, and will not mount properly.

cheers
Ed N.

Back