blown engine, what should i do? check it out first?..

operation rob

my engine is blown, and i kind of want to open it up first to see if there is anything wrong that i can fix, like something with a piston or rod or something of the sort, before i go and spend $2k on a new motor. what do you guys think? and when i get the motor, i just have to send the block back, right?

It really depends on your level of experience when working with motors, or anything else mechanical for that matter. There are specifications and tolerances that critical when dealing with the bottom of the motor. if you do not have the proper tools, or knowledge to do the job properly you might as well not do it at all. However, if you are knowledgable, and you have the tools, or you have a fknowledgable friend who would be able to help you through the process then I see no harm in attempting to do it yourself. Even if you see nothing wrong you could put the pan back on and send it where ever it needs to be sent to, if you decide to buy a new one.

If it turns out that you don't need to send the motor back when you buy a new one, and you've never broken one down before, it would definitly be a good learning experience to dig right in there, and check everything out.

I used to work at a parts store part time. I was looking at some of the fine print on their reman engine sales. If you dont return all the same parts that they sold you new, IE: long block for long block, you get to pay the core charge or a pro-rated charge. If your block is not rebuildable like a rod shot through it, or otherwise trashed out by being bored too many times you do not get your core money back. They wanted a rebuildable engine back before you saw your refund. One guy had a crank break internally on him, and he got all his core money back though, so it depends.

First, you should shut off the ignition, so you don't run down the battery. (sorry.......it's been one of those days)

91supacoop said:
It really depends on your level of experience when working with motors, or anything else mechanical for that matter. There are specifications and tolerances that critical when dealing with the bottom of the motor. if you do not have the proper tools, or knowledge to do the job properly you might as well not do it at all. However, if you are knowledgable, and you have the tools, or you have a fknowledgable friend who would be able to help you through the process then I see no harm in attempting to do it yourself. Even if you see nothing wrong you could put the pan back on and send it where ever it needs to be sent to, if you decide to buy a new one.

If it turns out that you don't need to send the motor back when you buy a new one, and you've never broken one down before, it would definitly be a good learning experience to dig right in there, and check everything out.
i was just going to take the heads off to see if i fryed a piston or a ring or something. it overheated so i'm temped to not mess with it.

well, i started at it. with about 2 or 3 hours of work, heres what i got done...
drained coolant and oil, and took off...radiator, upper IC tube, raised top on super charger, intercooler, air intake + MAF. probably isnt 2-3 hours total since i kept having to run between houses to get stuff (havent brought the toolbox next door yet) and shooting the ~~~~ with my grandmother (she lives next door and is letting me use her garage to fix my car in, since my parents dont want a car just sitting in their garage for a while)

Back