where can i get parts to rebuild a 90 shifter?

JustinH

My brother picked up a 90 anniversary fivespeed, and the shifter is very sloppy and sometimes slips out of gear.

Its terrible.

I wanted to pick him up the parts to rebuild the shifter, does anybody sell them in a kit anymore?

I don't want to shell out the bucks for the ripper.

Also will a 99+ mustang knob replace the sc knob? His is pretty worn as well.

Thanks,
Justin

Well, via search there are some posts on using a handful of dealer parts to rebuild the shifter...

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62272&highlight=e8tz-7e018-A

Here's a page showing pictures and the rebuild process. The part numbers on this link are the older ones. They have been superceded by the one in the first post above.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~miketoni/images/tbird/M5R2%20Shifter%20Rebuild.htm

I'm in the process of doing this on mine. I was surprised that when I removed the old shifter, the plastic parts were not there. I assume they got shattered and fell into the tailhousing :eek: I was able to get all of the parts at my local dealer except for the small rubber boot (E9SZ-7277-A)

My shifter is sloppy like gravy and it sometimes refuses to go into first from a stop. From second on it's just fine but sometimes first gives me a little drama before going into gear. So, I just shift into gear while the light is red and hold down the clutch for the duration of the light. Will a rebuild of the shifter fix this?

I just rebuilt mine last night. It's much tighter now. I had the same difficulty getting it into both 1st and 2nd. That's much better (although still there somewhat) after replacing the shifter parts.

I'd definitely do it, it's one of those things that seems to improve the whole car even though it's just a little isolated fix :)

I Get Employee Cost On Ford Stuff, And Work @ Northtown Dodge. I'll Check My Costs On The Stuff For You And You Can Come Out And Pick The Stuff Up. Call Me @998-0599 If Your Interested

Back