cheap exhaust needed

Bacondoggy

I am at an endpass here. I have a 91 SC with orig. tank. it has mustang headers no cat or resonator. here is my problem - 2 flowmaster mufflers, but the driver's side is rusted out so at certain rpm's the rusted collector rattles around and makes one of the worst sounds you can imagine. at first I just wanted to replace the mufflers, but it seems as if the "s" pipe that turns back to dual exhaust is also rusted at the flange. I wanted to make the car sound better, but do something inexpensive as I do not have lots of money to throw on exhaust. I don't know if I should replace the tank, and if so how much do they run? right now its 2 1/4" into a 3" flowmaster Y (where the resonator would be) then to a reducer then to the flowmaster setup (I think it was a cat back, but I am not sure). Any reccomendations on what to do here would be appriciated. I am not TOO worried about putting on cats right now - unless it would be like hi-flow cats and a resonator and maybe no mufflers... Any prices and places to get a pre-fab catback system for a reasonable price would be very appriciated (as any other input)!! Thanks guys!

Dynomax used to make a cta back system (may still). See if you can find it...Was cheap and sounded not that bad..My buddy had that with one high flow 2.5 inch cat and it wasnt all that loud at all
This is the cheap way out

Not that you're gonna go out and did what I did (stainless steel from the manifolds back) , but the shop I worked with was able to run a 3" pipe through the early model tank on my 1990. They had to farm it out to a company that could mandrel bend 3" pipe, but they did it.

Mine is 2.5 to 3 to 2.5.

Ok, a few things. I am not worried about how loud/quiet it is - I actually prefer something alittle louder as long as it sounds good. I live in York, PA and am not sure of where to go as far as getting custom work done (like a 3" mandrel bend around a gas tank). Meinakie quoted me like $500 to go from where the resonator was, back. I thought that was alittle pricey. is anyone aware of a system or something that would have a "cat back" system minus the resonator? then I can get the hi-flow cats put in at a different time (if I ever need them)

I was told the closest place to PA that does mandrel bending is either MD (close to you) or CT. If you're looking to do it cheaply, you going to end up with a crushed aluminized exhaust - which is more than adequate for most SC's. You can get the Flowmaster Force II catback - w/o the resonator it's a few hundred bucks, but not a direct fit. For a direct fit you would need both the Flowmaster resonator and catback - more money.
Mike

Last edited:
Ok guys - I have found out (from the website and calling) from Dynomax, that the cat back systems are no longer made for our vehicles. He said by dimentions, I could get just the mufflers, but I wanted to get a new "S" curved pipe. As far as getting one pre-bent, around here no one will do it because my car has no cats on it and they wont touch it (except Meinakie and they want $500), and I am NOT a fan of flowmasters. They rust way too quickly - I may just go to Meinakie and bite the bullet...

Bacondoggy said:
Ok guys - I have found out (from the website and calling) from Dynomax, that the cat back systems are no longer made for our vehicles. He said by dimentions, I could get just the mufflers, but I wanted to get a new "S" curved pipe. As far as getting one pre-bent, around here no one will do it because my car has no cats on it and they wont touch it (except Meinakie and they want $500), and I am NOT a fan of flowmasters. They rust way too quickly - I may just go to Meinakie and bite the bullet...

Other than the deleted cats, is the exhaust stock? I know of a shop by me (Warrington) who will do exhaust work regardless of cats, but the car must be exempt from emmissions - driven less than 5000 miles a year. Does York even have emmission testing?
Mike

500 is way to much..WAY to much

I had my complete dual exhaust bent minus mufflers for 400 bucks (94 sc)

Get 93 and up gas tank

have complete exhaust done from front to back..Do you need cats???

Dual 2 1/4 into a 2 in 1 out resonator...Single 3 or 3.5 inch to back split into dual 2.5 inch.

My advice..You really do want a resonator

ok Well, if I go the whole route (getting a new tank), I would still only go from the resonator back. I guess I would get a resonator - right now I have just downtubed cudtom bent (2 1/4 I think) into a 3" Y (flomaster y) then a reducer (back to 2.5") and a flomaster cat back system (rusted out - big suprize, huh?). I don't NEED cats per se, because my car is "EXEMPT", but some places are still ignorant by saying "its still a federal law even if your car doesn't NEED them". And Yes York, PA requires emissions unless your car is exempt. How much do the gas tanks run? Thanks guys!!!

I paid $40.00 for my tank. Contact Wynn - Tbird88. He does exhaust work, in fact he has a post somewhere about an exhaust system (from the headers back) he made for a member.
Mike

Bacondoggy said:
Would $65 be an ok deal for a newer-style gas-tank?

I supppose. I just stumbled across mine while looking for other parts. If every place in your area is selling them for 65 and it's something you want, then buy it. So what have you decided to do about your exhaust?
Mike

Check This Out Guys!!

DREAM EXHAUST!!!!!

ok guys bear with me - something like a dual in/out resonator, and these out the side (in front of the rear wheels)

http://www.drgas.com/store/product.php?productid=31&cat=8&page=1

http://www.drgas.com/store/product.php?productid=32&cat=8&page=1

it would be similar to the nascar exhaust and would be a good idea for our cars because of the low ground clearance. probablly sound nice too....

http://www.drgas.com/store/home.php?cat=2

I LOVE THE MUFFLERS if they just werent so expensive!!!

please let me know what you think or any ideas!

Last edited:
Back