couple of questions

ShawnSC1

My problem is, when I stomp on the gas it feels like it is lossing a little power. Like it boggs during accel. Also if I keep stomping hard on the gas the temp gauge goes to 3/4. If I drive it without stomping on the gas the temp stays just above the N. This problem happenings alot on the highway when passing. But if I don't do any of that, the temp stays at the N. Also I am getting a sound from my cats. Sounds like something is ticking around inside them. It also makes that sound when the car is shut off.
The only mod I did was remover air silencer and sealed the sound ports holes on the S/C.
I replaced cam sensor, spark plugs D/P motorcraft gap .45 with motorcraft wires, rad and t-stat 197.

I think you found the problem...

It sounds like your cats are shot and the burnt chunks are plugging the exhaust. If you drive the car again, take a look at them when you stop and see if they are glowing (red). You may want to get this fixed fairly soon before you overheat and risk blowing a head gasket....

LJGriggs said:
It sounds like your cats are shot and the burnt chunks are plugging the exhaust. If you drive the car again, take a look at them when you stop and see if they are glowing (red). You may want to get this fixed fairly soon before you overheat and risk blowing a head gasket....

Can you see them glowing red and if not how would I know forsure if they are shot.

Can you see them glowing red and if not how would I know forsure if they are shot.

Well, I've never actually seen glowing converters, but that's what I've heard... I guess under extreme circumstances you might see them glowing. Maybe a better way to tell if they are burned up is to tap them with a rubber mallet (when they cool down) to see if the ceramic core rattles around. That will let you know that it has crumbled into chunks...

LJGriggs said:
Well, I've never actually seen glowing converters, but that's what I've heard... I guess under extreme circumstances you might see them glowing. Maybe a better way to tell if they are burned up is to tap them with a rubber mallet (when they cool down) to see if the ceramic core rattles around. That will let you know that it has crumbled into chunks...

Ok I will give that a try thanks.

The Overheating On The Thruway Can Be From The Lack Of Air Deflector On The Bottom Of The Front Fascia. Check It Out, And Search "gm Air Deflector" And You'll See What To Do.

Back